Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use these? What are your thoughts on them? We are in the process of building a new house on 2.5 acres. My lab used to roam at our old house but we will be in the city limits now and fairly close to a busy road. I like the thought of a physical fence but these seem to be cheaper. Any know the cost of a chain link fence per acre?? Thanks for the input......

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
They will keep your dog in if he doesn't figure out how to beat it. I have seen dogs run through it and not get shocked if they can break the barrier fast enough. But it will not keep other dogs out either. Fences aren't cheap, I would hate to see the bill to run fence around 2.5 acres. Might just fence in a portion and attach to the back of the house or a shop to build a lean to off of for shelter and shade.

·
Premium Member
29,735 Posts
I have a wireless fence for my Mt Cur. He has broke through one time in three years and never done it again. It lets him get out about 30 yards from the house. No, it does not keep other dogs out. It was about $325 plus I bought another collar for about $125 so I have one to put on him while I am charging the other. I live in the woods and use it to keep him from hunting 24/7. Very few other dogs in the neighborhood. I have had more alligators in my yard than other dogs. If I was in an urban setting, with a lot of traffic, and other dogs, I might opt to fence in an area for him.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have a wireless fence for my Mt Cur. He has broke through one time in three years and never done it again. It lets him get out about 30 yards from the house. No, it does not keep other dogs out. It was about $325 plus I bought another collar for about $125 so I have one to put on him while I am charging the other. I live in the woods and use it to keep him from hunting 24/7. Very few other dogs in the neighborhood. I have had more alligators in my yard than other dogs. If I was in an urban setting, with a lot of traffic, and other dogs, I might opt to fence in an area for him.
Swampcat, what brand fence do you have?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that the one that has a 90' radius? I was out there today and the neighbors actually have a decent fence on 2 sides for their cows and horses. Can you do the underground on just 2 sides?? I assume it has to be looped back to the house so that really wouldn't save much.

·
Premium Member
29,735 Posts
Is that the one that has a 90' radius? I was out there today and the neighbors actually have a decent fence on 2 sides for their cows and horses. Can you do the underground on just 2 sides?? I assume it has to be looped back to the house so that really wouldn't save much.
I would guess it is about 90' radius. You would be surprised what a Mt Cur can find within 90' of the front door.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
We've got the INVISIBLE FENCE FOR OUR AIREDALE ON ABOUT 1 acre,it works well.Shes been out once they came back and turned it up and you couldn't drag her out of the yard.Cost was about 1100$ prolly 10 years ago,CHEAP compared to fencing in an acre.I would recommend them for you if you like the price there stuff is guaranteed!

·
Super Moderator
9,449 Posts
We bought a wireless fence when we moved into our house with no fencing. My lab has been great. She will run all over the yard and follow me down the drive way until she gets to the edge. She'll stop and sit and wait for me to get back to her. We only had to train her about a week before she figured it out. I've not yet had her get outside of it and have to go get her and I think its been about a year an a half now. Honestly can't remember the brand we bought, but I think it was also the PetSafe as well. Something like the Stay and Play by PetSafe I think. We have ours plugged up inside the garage and I believe we have it on the largest area setting and it gives her about a 30 yard radius on all sides of the box. We have been extremely pleased with this one. The good thing is, once the dog is trained (at least with ours) you don't really have to worry anymore. I'll take her collar off to charge it over night and just let her roam outside all night with no collar and she will still stay inside the zone. One time walking down the drive way to get the mail, she followed me and I knew she was about 15' past the edge and I was in the middle of saying "you better get back or your'll get shoc..." and about that time she yelped a little and took off back to the front porch and waited for me there. ha :thumb:

·
Premium Member
29,735 Posts
I have the wireless fence and When I go hunting, I usually walk from the house but my Mt Cur will not follow. I have to load him up on the 4 wheeler and drive fifty yards across the line and then he is good to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.