Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www2.arkansasonline.com/news/2008/feb/05/ua-wants-eligibility-mallett/?sports

UA wants eligibility for Mallett
By Tom Murphy

Originally published 06:00 a.m., February 5, 2008
Updated 06:00 a.m., February 5, 2008

FAYETTEVILLE — The University of Arkansas is expected to petition the NCAA to grant eligibility in 2008 to transfer quarterback Ryan Mallett.

Marvin Caston, UA assistant athletic director for compliance, said Monday afternoon he would be prepared to comment today on the Mallett issue.

Mallett, a blue-chip prospect out of Texas High School in Texarkana, Texas, played at Michigan as a true freshman last season, but decided to transfer shortly after the arrival of new Michigan Coach Rich Rodriguez.

Mallett enrolled at Arkansas last month. Under normal NCAA transfer rules, Mallett would be ineligible to play in 2008 and have three years of eligibility beginning in the 2009 season.

For more information see today's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I hope it goes through. I just can't see Casey Dick being a good QB for a Petrino style offense. That being said, we do have Nathan Dick, and I hear he is a lot better than Casey.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I hope it goes through. I just can't see Casey Dick being a good QB for a Petrino style offense. That being said, we do have Nathan Dick, and I hear he is a lot better than Casey.

I don't see Casey Dick being a good QB in anyones offense :razz:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Let him sit out and learn the offense for a year, then come in next year after having learned it, and still have 3 years.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what will end up happening. The NCAA isn't gonna open this can of worms.
i dont think they will approve it either. but, it does bring up a topic for discussion...should a player be able to transfer and not have to sit out a year if there is a coaching change at their school? and also, coaches "transfer" between jobs quite often and dont have to sit out a year. should they have to sit out if the players do?

·
3,605 Posts
HARDSHIP
That is the only reason that the NCAA will allow this.

Family illness is the only reason that I can remember a player winning this argument.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I guess they feel like all they can do is tell them no. Would be nice to see some luck go our way with the NCAA, but I am not getting my hopes up.

It would set up a great situation though. Youngblood and Wilson could redshirt. They would be ready to roll when their Junior season came around.

·
Administrator
40,899 Posts
I dont think its gonna fly either but I also dont think he's gonna sit out one and then play three. Two maybe but not three.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts