Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on 2-way radios. I understand that the range they give has
everything to do with conditions and landscape, but other than that are there some that seem to be better than others. I am not interested in a bunch of privacy codes and stuff like that. A good simple economical radio that is reliable will do fine.

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
You get what you pay for. I would get a simple Motorola or Cobra. They last longer. I would get one that had rechargeable AA. If you get in a bind you can get some cheap AA at the dollar store and be able to run it.

·
Administrator
89,107 Posts
My son and I use Motorola's that use 3 AA batteries. I wouldn't hunt without them. They have a silent vibrate mode that we use to notify each other. It is nice to be able to communicate with each other. Seems like mine were $39 each when I bought them about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The range on all the ones Ive tried is about the same. About 2 miles in open country and less than 1 mile in timber. The last pair I bought were Midland and the range was advertised as 18 miles. Thats never going to happen. I had to send one back because it stopped working. I have a pair of Motorolas that Ive had for several years and they're still going.

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
I have a pair of motorola's and a pair of Cobra's. They are Ok for really short distances.
My next pair will be Midlands and 5 watt ones.
I know people that use Midlands and they seem to have more range.

IMO Midland makes the best. The cobras I haven't like since the beginning but they were a gift. The transmit button is very stiff and they just don't have the range.
The motorolas are older and have even a shorter range.

I guess for me Midland needs to be tried and see if I get a better range and dependability.

I would suggest Midland 5 watt radios.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I have a pair of motorola's and a pair of Cobra's. They are Ok for really short distances.
My next pair will be Midlands and 5 watt ones.
I know people that use Midlands and they seem to have more range.

IMO Midland makes the best. The cobras I haven't like since the beginning but they were a gift. The transmit button is very stiff and they just don't have the range.
The motorolas are older and have even a shorter range.

I guess for me Midland needs to be tried and see if I get a better range and dependability.

I would suggest Midland 5 watt radios.
I have used Motorolas and Midlands. I am surprised your Cobras don't work that good. I have (3) Cobras "because i lost one":smack: Man mine are great. They are easy to change channels on and work every bit of two miles in the ouachitas or L.A. The battery saver works great too. I use mine all the time and probably replace the AA batteries in them once a year. Unbelievable cause them Motorolas were putting me in the poor house on batteries. You are talking to a fella that hunts at least 9 months out of the year...them hogs keep me busy.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I've got 3 of the Midland 18 mile radios and they work ok. I like the vibrate alert the option to use AAA batteries. But the range isn't close to 18 miles. I still think the Motorolas are the best thing out there.

·
3,605 Posts
Be sure that any radio that you buy does NOT have the bleep indicator when you release the mike. It will drive everyone crazy that you hunt with.

The Rhino GPS radios are nice. They will show the exact location of the other people who have the same radio.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Got a set of the Midland with the 1 watt and 5 watt capability....can't beat em in my opinion!!!! Unless they were like the Motorola's we have at work, and I can talk acrosss the state on them:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
The in-laws got our kids a couple of Motorolas to play with and they couldn't tear them up. I use them at work a lot, too. As for communication, the In-laws property is in the shadow of a cell tower... We just call each other on the cell phones, put 'em on vibrate and we're good to go!

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
My son and I use Motorola's that use 3 AA batteries. I wouldn't hunt without them. They have a silent vibrate mode that we use to notify each other. It is nice to be able to communicate with each other. Seems like mine were $39 each when I bought them about 5 years ago.
Same hear! However my hunting buddy wants to option for just using our cell phones which are lighter and have a vibrate ring option. Also a leave message option if you choose not to talk right at that moment. :thumb:

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
When GM and I first met......I was at the camp hunting, on the stand...text messaging her when a big old fat doe walked out and hit the ground dead with a 150gr 308 round in her eyeball!!!

GM got kinda mad, cause I was hunting and she wasn't there:biggrin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.