Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a few pounds of purple top and seven top turnip seeds today. I won't be planting them for awhile but had it on my mind so I picked them up. Anyone else plant turnips and what are your results and methods? Thanks, DJ

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
It's always good to have some green around. I usually try to plant some purple top each year. They won't mess with the actual turnip until it gets really cold--usually December, and they can come in and dig 'em all up and eat 'em in a matter of a couple of days. From what I understand, the sugar in the turnip increases at that point and the deer love 'em!

·
Registered
172 Posts
i plant them every year. deer seem to prefer kale over any of them. as long as there are acorns they won`t hit them real hard but i`ve never seen them pass them by. later after the frost kills everything else they do love the turnips. i usally plant several diffrent kinds anyway.seven top, blue top, turnip, rape. they always stop and eat on them. i always put kale in one area and they will usally browse down to it then stop for awhile in the kale !

they seem to do very good where theres not much sun light. mine are on my shooting lane between a thicket and a hardwood bottom and stays very shaded. thay grow like crazy. for about $10. including lime, i plant a 10ft wide by about 300 yd long lane very thick!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Make sure you spray your plot with sum kind of herbicide before you decide to plant...Dont know about later in the year but i planted my 1st food plot this year and it was a flop...Wanted to give them something to eat this spring to keep them in my area and my turnips got over ran with weeds!!! Called three major food plot companies and they say theres nothing you can spray the weeds with to kill them that wont kill the turnips...They have plenty of stuff to manage the grass but nothing for the weeds...Wish i woulda sprayed after i got it tilled up but i didnt think nothing about it!!!:banghead: Mowed it all down yesterday getting it ready for austrian peas and you better believe im gonna drown them weeds before i plant this time!!!! Good luck with your plot!!!:up:

·
Registered
469 Posts
I am retired and spend a lot of time watching deer year round. Where I live there is about a 50/50 mix of pasture land and timber land. The pastures have lots of clover in them and the deer won't touch anything in a food plot except clover or a cereal grain of some type. They also never bother my garden but three miles north it is mostly pine plantation and you can't grow a garden. The deer up there will eat anything you plant. It took me three years to get them eating corn. Had one old doe start eating a little and she brought the rest of the bunch to it. To get to the point, what works for one person may not be the answer for everyone IMO. Before I retired I worked construction and would check out the deer around the state where we were working (Waldron,Hot Springs,Monticello,Stephens, Glenwood, Searcy). It is amazing how different deer habits are in different parts of the state. My advice is experiment with different things or talk to someone real local.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.