Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never hunted turkey in the fall or with a bow. The last two times I went to check my cams on 60 acres I hunt, a turkey, a large tom, has been out in the field that runs down the edge of the property, and is not mine to hunt. What might I do to entice him to walk over to the edge of the woodline and into bow range?

· Registered
11,755 Posts
They will have favorite oak trees to feed under once the acorns start falling.
The ones I'm seeing now are chasing grasshoppers. I set up on some last fall during the shotgun season under a red oak that they were hitting every morning at 9. At 11 I had watched them for 2 1/2 hours so I yelped and they walked up the hill to me.

· Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,530 Posts
Corn works the best :fit:, but being thats illegal you may try some course yelps (gobbler yelps) being this time of year typically the gobblers group up and the hens group up. Other than that a kee-kee may work as well. This is a typical call used when turkeys get seperated.

· Member<br>2009 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<b
163 Posts
Light clucks and soft purrs. Mix in a couple of ez yelps evey once in a while an that old tom just might walk by...........One thing to remember is that if he is running around alone he might not want any company, so don't get too over aggressive..........The key is to make him feel that everything is relaxed and ok.

Food is the main task of the day and if he thinks that the table is set and there are goodies to be had, he may want to check it out, so light feeding purrs and soft clucks should get his attention.........If he is already on a feeding pattern don't push him, more than likly he won't leave the food on his plate, but when he is finished he may want to drift your way just to see what was making the unseen birds so happy.......I know it sounds funny, but what you want to do in the fall is make happy birds..........Happy birds relax and knowing there is safty in numbers will let their guard down as much as a Wild Turkey can do.

· Registered
814 Posts
Grab your bow, beat yourself over the head with it until you pass out, then wake up and repeat. I promise you this is much less painful and better on the self esteem than hunting fall turkeys with a bow. But if you're dead set on trying it I find that getting in front of where they want to be is the answer. The only calls I use in the fall are the kee-kee's and kee-kee runs of the young birds. Shoot the first turkey that comes into range as they normally flock up in pretty large flocks where I'm from and you will never beat 20-30 set of turkey eyes looking for you. I use on the umbrella's made for wrapping around trees in stands set on the ground as a small blind. They are fast and very mobile. Good luck and let us see some pics if you get him:thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.