Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was checking out a piece of property yesterday that had a miscanthus field that had been disked last fall so it was growing back in spots . I was easing around the edge to look for old rubs and a hen Turkey jumped up and flew in the trees. I just sat there and waited and three poults jumped up and flew in the trees then two others jumped up then three more jumped up and flew to the top of some big trees along the edge. These poults weren’t much bigger than large quail. At first I couldn’t even tell what they were being kinda gray colored. First time ever seeing poults fly up that far.

·
Member<br>2016 Turkey Contest Team Winner<br>
620 Posts
This much rain is sure gonna be hard them little ones. Hope the hens can gather them up under their wings and keep em warm.

·
Premium Member
25,668 Posts
Need to put out more food for Turkey...
Wheat, Sunflowers,Millit,Milo....ECT..
Year around Food plots.... Turkey feeders...

·
620 Posts
Maybe one positive from all the rain is it will delay some hay cutting. I wonder how many nests are run over every year and I’ve even heard of the hen getting chopped up. No I’m not anti hay!! I realize it’s gotta be done folks have to make a living.

·
Premium Member
27,138 Posts
Maybe one positive from all the rain is it will delay some hay cutting. I wonder how many nests are run over every year and I’ve even heard of the hen getting chopped up. No I’m not anti hay!! I realize it’s gotta be done folks have to make a living.
I dont think as many get run over as used to. - when we had a lot of turkeys. I had a 22 acre field I let someone cut the hay on just to keep it cleaned up. Been as many as three nesting hens in there at one time. Always one or two. Havent seen a turkey near there in five years now. Good thing, too. This is what it has looked like all spring

·
620 Posts
I dont think as many get run over as used to. - when we had a lot of turkeys. I had a 22 acre field I let someone cut the hay on just to keep it cleaned up. Been as many as three nesting hens in there at one time. Always one or two. Havent seen a turkey near there in five years now. Good thing, too. This is what it has looked like all spring

View attachment 316576
You probably right about that. Less turkeys less chance to hit a nest. I remember a few years ago a guy down the road cut a 120 acre field and hit 5 nests that he saw. Sad but part of it i guess.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
I’ve killed more mowing hay than with a shotgun. And yes killed several hens on the nest unfortunately.

I never killed any mowing grass hay cause that was always mid June before we got started. That first alfalfa cutting is what is bad on turkeys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts