Arkansas Hunting banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
I’d rather the birds have a chance to breed than experiencing a quality hunt. I know there is no way to stop it but IMO the guys that go out “scouting” several weeks before season up until the opener doesn’t help either.
Been scouting the whole Turkey season..
Have always Started April.
Will continue starting then..
Hunt till end of season in may..

May not Hunt with a Gun..But I'm Hunting...

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
What's The point of even checking a Turkey or Turkeys in?

With the on line check honor system?

No way this is an Accurate system...

8000 Checked in...16,000 Turkey probably killed..Or More.

Help me understand that game and fish check system.

·
Premium Member
26,906 Posts

It is and indication of changes in trends, not an accurate change of actual harvest. You have to have some type of indicator to let you know where you are. As long as the legal folks are fairly consistent checking their harvest, then the data is useful.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts

Checking turkeys or deer has always been on the honor system even before the internet / online checking

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
Checking turkeys or deer has always been on the honor system even before the internet / online checking
Nope..In the Ozark National Forest they had check points..WMA were the same.you didn't leave without picking your lic at the Headquarters...
You didn't go in or out without being checked..

National Forest ,WMA need check points..
Can't go in or out without being checked..
NEED CHECK POINTS..TO CHECK DEER, Bear and Turkey...
On National Forest and WMA....

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Nope..In the Ozark National Forest they had check points..WMA were the same.you didn't leave without picking your lic at the Headquarters...
You didn't go in or out without being checked..

National Forest ,WMA need check points..
Can't go in or out without being checked..
NEED CHECK POINTS..TO CHECK DEER, Bear and Turkey...
On National Forest and WMA....
So 4-5 checkpoints in the whole state? Way too labor intensive to have enough of those to help

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
The thing about south Arkansas is that the hunting pressure is limited in a way by the number of turkey hunters there are in the lease. If those leases ceased to exist it would be a free-for-all just like National Forest land.
The pressure in the National Forests seems to have increased over the past 5-10 years, but in my experience, most south Arkansas leases, especially the larger ones (1,500+ acres), experience as much or more pressure than public land.
There may be a few exceptions, but once word gets out birds are being killed, turkey hunters will flock to that lease till the next hot spot pops up.

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
The pressure in the National Forests seems to have increased over the past 5-10 years, but in my experience, most south Arkansas leases, especially the larger ones (1,500+ acres), experience as much or more pressure than public land.
There may be a few exceptions, but once word gets out birds are being killed, turkey hunters will flock to that lease till the next hot spot pops up.
U ND Blackfoot...ever get out of your Toy Trucks?
Just Talk em to Death? Cuz Bro...

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
When's Squirrel Camp?

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
One thing I got to wondering today... has there been and studies done on the possible impact of black vultures on the turkey population.
I know the black vulture population has seen a dramatic increase in the past 20 years.
In reading about them, it says they prey on domestic fowl. One would assume the vultures would not discriminate between domestic and wild fowl.

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
One thing I got to wondering today... has there been and studies done on the possible impact of black vultures on the turkey population.
I know the black vulture population has seen a dramatic increase in the past 20 years.
In reading about them, it says they prey on domestic fowl. One would assume the vultures would not discriminate between domestic and wild fowl.
Like it..Your Pretty Smart when Grasspond and KKR let ya Talk..

·
Premium Member
26,906 Posts

There have been numerous nest predation studies done, where they identified the predator by either characteristics from the damage caused, or from dna. I dont remember seeing any reference to vulture depredation.

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
8000 Turkey checked in in Arkansas is
Totally unacceptable..
Even in the Short Season..
Should be a Total of 1000 checked in each County that has Turkeys..At least..
That should total 10,000 at least. In Arkansas.

Quail gone,Ducks Gone..Woods Duck non existent..
Now The Turkey...
Something Needs to be Done know....

You can have podcast meetings. but until somebody actually steps up and starts doing something nothing will ever be done about our... Turkey population in Arkansas.

You and I know what it is..
The Game and fish.. Can't won't do anything about it.. they're up against the wall..
follow the money trail and I'll bet you find out what's really wrong with the Turkey population.
Timber Management on our wmas and our national forest is destroying are turkey Habit..

·
Premium Member
24,376 Posts
Was in the Ozark National Forest today. Noticed where they had been prescribed burning during the turkey nesting season. I can understand before the nesting season.
And after. But during the nesting season? I don't understand... Maybe I do understand it's all about the money the price of Timber. Really Timber Prices... ain't worth crap...Not the nesting of Turkey. Are any other wildlife except hogs and snakes... And butterflies.

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
Totally unacceptable..

Now The Turkey...

You can have podcast meetings. but until somebody actually steps up and starts doing something nothing will ever be done about our... Turkey population in Arkansas.

The Game and fish.. Can't won't do anything about it.. they're up against the wall..
follow the money trail and I'll bet you find out what's really wrong with the Turkey population.
Timber Management on our wmas and our national forest is destroying are turkey Habit..
A prime example of the AGFC turkey management is the Warren Prairie natural area.
They have managed a lot of the area for turkeys with thinning, control burns, etc...
Just driving through, it appears to me excellent turkey habit.
The problem is, the area is wide open to the public and gets more pressure than even the most popular spots in Winona.
If they really want to manage it for turkeys and increase the population, they also need to manage the hunting pressure.
Only managing one part of the equation won’t do the turkeys much good.

·
Registered
26,894 Posts
Totally unacceptable..

Now The Turkey...

What are you doing to help uncle acid?

81 - 100 of 116 Posts