Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it continually trigger when she is just sitting there? What type of flash does it have? Has she sat through a night with it on? If IR flash, that red glowing flash could alarm her.
I just got it out this morning. I’m really not sure about the type of flash. You make a good point.

·
Premium Member
29,424 Posts
Following.

I tried this once, the hen never came back. Wasted 12 eggs.
Did you flush her from the nest to begin with? From what I have read, it is not uncommon for a hen to abandon the nest when flushed by a human. Possible she would not have come back even if you had not put up a game cam.

ten or so years ago when we had a lot more turkeys, I let a guy mow a 23 acre field for hay. He would usually flush a hen or two off a nest. He would leave about a fifty yard by 50 yard block of grass around the nest. That was like telling the predators “here it is”. I dont think a nest ever lasted more than a night. No telling how many nests (and fawns) - are lost to hay mowing.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Did you flush her from the nest to begin with? From what I have read, it is not uncommon for a hen to abandon the nest when flushed by a human. Possible she would not have come back even if you had not put up a game cam.

ten or so years ago when we had a lot more turkeys, I let a guy mow a 23 acre field for hay. He would usually flush a hen or two off a nest. He would leave about a fifty yard by 50 yard block of grass around the nest. That was like telling the predators “here it is”. I dont think a nest ever lasted more than a night. No telling how many nests (and fawns) - are lost to hay mowing.
NRCS doesn’t allow mowing before June 15 for that very reason.

·
Member Forum Sponsor 2011 Turkey Contest Winner
10,899 Posts

Yes, flushed her hunting one morning. Happened to have a camera with me so I put it up. When she flushed, she flew across a creek. Never got a pic of her back anywhere near the nest.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts