Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How effective is a ground blind? Do any of ya'll go out and just set up and wait it out like deer hunting especially if you know you have turkey in the area? I was just curious. This is all new to me and I don't want to go out and just blow it first thing.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
How effective is a ground blind? Do any of ya'll go out and just set up and wait it out like deer hunting especially if you know you have turkey in the area? I was just curious. This is all new to me and I don't want to go out and just blow it first thing.
very effective if your hunting open areas with fields, etc, If you know you can set it in a good spot and hang out all day it's a very effective way of killin.
To me when it's early and you hunt farms that have fields and not much if any green on the trees yet it's pretty hard to move on a bird w/o foulin him up or others you dont know about.

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
Ground blinds are effective on turkeys. Their eyes are so good that every little bit helps, even if it is a makeshift quick put together blind out of sticks and leaves.

And like J. Adams said blinds work wonders on field edges or even in the middle if it's a haybale blind.

You oughtta try one out and see if it works for ya. Let us know the results.

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
I love mine and like what's been posted already I use it on the edge of fields primarily but have set it up in timber. It has been effective but it's a patience game has I just set it up in an area I know birds use rather than actually locating and setting up, but a smaller blind might work for that as well.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I find that ground blinds are very effective for turkey hunting. Turkeys don't seem to shy away from them like deer do. It's best to set one up ahead of time in an area where you know the turkeys frequent. It's a bit difficult, but not impossible, to try and set one up on a gobblin' tom.

·
Super Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner
1,937 Posts
We've had them walk within 5 feet of ground blinds and not pay them any attention. Highly effective also are tower stands in green fields. The turkey are used to them so they don't pay them any attention either.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used my blind during the youth hunt with my six y/o son. It was awesome !!! :thumb:
I would recommend it to anyone. Mine has the mesh shoot thru windows. You can get by with moving around inside as long as you move slow. Fast movement can be detected. :wink: I'm going to use it Sat.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats what I was thinking about doing was putting it up in my food plot, because I seen turkeys while I was deer hunting and being theres a food source there too.:thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts