Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you fellas turkey hunt down here in Miller County, or ever have? Not many turkeys, but I've had good luck the past few years. Was wondering if I am the only one left hunting down here?! Haha

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Are there many birds in the north part of the county? I have ground I can hunt in the very south part of Little River county, but have never seen many birds, so haven't made the time.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there many birds in the north part of the county? I have ground I can hunt in the very south part of Little River county, but have never seen many birds, so haven't made the time.
Not that I know of. I wouldn't know though. I just saw that there were only 13 birds killed down here in miller county last year.

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
Wonder why G&F trys to issue so many permits for the public lands down there if turkey's are not a population to support such a hunt down there? That is strange, all the other WMA permits get snatched up ASAP, but those seem to not be much interest in them, there hardly ever seems to a case where those get gone.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wonder why G&F trys to issue so many permits for the public lands down there if turkey's are not a population to support such a hunt down there? That is strange, all the other WMA permits get snatched up ASAP, but those seem to not be much interest in them, there hardly ever seems to a case where those get gone.
There aren't many turkey hunters down here to be honest, and most of the land is inaccessible unless you have a boat. To be honest, the wma down here has a good number of turkeys if you know where to look. I have land that borders it, and that section of land is my go to spot. I feel like not many people want to hunt down here because we have a short season. This year our zone, 9A, is only an eight day season... I understand that if there really are no birds down here, and by all means, I want more birds in the future, but I really don't think the short season helps THAT much. I'm fine with the one bird limit for 9A, but why not extend our season? If our season falls during a week there's a weather system, we're screwed.

·
Premium Member
29,747 Posts
Turkeys are scarce around my place in Sevier Co. Pond Cr NWR - 27,000 acres offers 40 permits good for a two day hunt. They sell out - and the average harvest is one to three turkeys. I doubt it will be that good over the next couple of years due to the extensive flooding. Basically, they are providing ground for you to walk around on and say you are hunting - they are not providing a place to kill a turkey.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Our land borders PC NWR in little river county and our overall turkey population has been down for the last 5 yrs. Last year was our best for numbers with some jakes that showed up. With all the flooding it don't look so promising this year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.