Turkey hunting laws

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Selfbow, Feb 16, 2008.

What would you change?

1. No calling 2 weeks before opening day

36 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. No Jakes

28 vote(s)
    32.6%
  3. 1 Bird in the first week

6 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. 1 Bird of choice

16 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. Selfbow

Selfbow ...

What would you change about our Turkey hunting laws?

Tennessee has a law that you can't call turkeys within 2 weeks of opening day. I think that is a great law. It slows down the poachers and keeps people from educating birds before the season. It probably helps early breeding also.

How many of you know people who go out on public land a call in turkeys for video or fun before the season opens? Then they hunt somewhere else.

What would you change?

2. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider Well-Known Member

What is the definition of calling? Is it producing vocalizations of a turkey, or simply making one gobble by other means? Both of these mentioned can disturb birds, and cause a reluctance to gobble? It seems no calling leading up to the opener would be a hard law to enforce depending on the definition of calling.

3. 10pointman

10pointman Moderator Staff Member

Well,let's see.That would mean any man-made sound.

4. Manybeards

Manybeards Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20

NO JAKES was my vote :biggrin:

How can they regulate the no calling before season??? I agree it messes turkeys up, but simply can't be controlled. It also makes it harder for people to kill turkeys, which if we have a shortage of turkeys a lower harvest is what we need!!!

I mean really from what I can see a big majority of people just want to kill and could careless what the future brings. Sorry, but that is how it appears to me.

5. possum

possum Well-Known Member

Whats the difference between killing a jake or a long beard? Your taking a male turkey out of the population either way ain't ya? And no I'm not trying to stir the pot, I'm just not understanding it mattering.

6. Manybeards

Truefully the only difference is it's an oppurtunity that is passed on making a kill. The majority of hunters only get so many chances to kill a turkey and if they pass on the jakes that reduces their chance of limiting out. Same difference if we had a 5 on one side rule deer hunting. If you let the jakes go there is no doubt they will replenish the flock the following year from the longbeards that are killed. I'm not tring to say no one can't kill anything, but it just makes since to let the young live. And yes I feel the same about BB bucks even though there is a lot more deer than turkeys.

7. possum

possum Well-Known Member

Just curious cause it looks to me like a one bird limit would do the same thing in addition to letting some more of the already wise old long beards even smarter.

8. Manybeards

I just don't want turkey season to be over after the first day each year!!!! Yes, I would just carry someone, but with a one bird limit I think the end result would be outlawing getting completly out of hand.

9. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

I'd like to see a law making Many and possum and a buncha other accomplished turkey hunters wear a patch ove their right eye, that way we'll all be on level playing field!:thumb:

10. Manybeards

John, your eye problems has just put us closer to your playing field :biggrin:

11. possum

possum Well-Known Member

I don't think it would make the "outlawing" any worse than protecting Jakes. Poachers are going to poach regardless what the regulations say. As far as your season being over on the first day of season every year, your the one controlling the trigger....right, don't pull it. :biggrin:

John, I'm far from being an accomplished turkey hunter.

BTW....I seen the largest flock of birds this morning I've seen in a while. They were strung out across a field in three groups with 20-25 birds per group. :thumb:

12. longspurs

longspurs Super Member<br>2010-11 Deer Hunting Contest Winne

I've always wanted to make fooling with em before season the same as spotlighting without a gun, I think its called nuisance to wildlife. I'd also go for no evening hunting. I know I'll get a lot of squawking over that opinion. Waaa don't cut any hunting opportunities!

13. possum

possum Well-Known Member

longspurs, again not trying to start anything just curious,

why?

I'm relatively new to Turkey hunting and just trying to have a better understanding of things.

14. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

Spotlighting is the same with or without a gun! Just a friendly warning:wink:

15. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

You don't have to tag out on opening day. You can always pass up all the 2 and 3 year old birds and wait for a sure 'nuff limbhanger. :thumb:
    Actually, with a one bird limit, hopefully there would be enough honest hunters abide by the law that in a few years time we could go back to a two bird limit and actually have way more birds to hunt.

16. Buba Garrett

Buba Garrett Premium Member<br>2010 Deer Hunting Contest Winner

I agree!

17. Bruin

Bruin Well-Known Member

I voted no Jakes, but I would be for allowing Jakes during the youth hunt.

18. Selfbow

Selfbow ...

Ditto!
    I should have made afternoon hunts one of the choices.

19. Double M

Double M Member<br>Forum Sponsor

in Utah, you can't shoot a bird off the limb.
    Couldn't calling before season possibly come under "harassing wildlife":confused:
    MM

20. reggie-2-guns

reggie-2-guns Well-Known Member

Okay...instead of cutting the season length, how about cutting out the afternoons?

The endpoint is basically the same amount of time we'd be giving up.