Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to a local game warden, a Yell county man was shot recently while "scouting" for turkeys. The shooter ran off but they think they know who he is.

Two idiots
One calling turkeys before season and another shooting early.

·
Suspended Indefinitely
2,957 Posts
The only thing wrong with calling turkeys less than 2 weeks before the season is that it can make them call shy. I hope the GW gets the shooters gun, truck, license and I hope the guy that got shot gets everything else he has. IMO there is no excuse for this. Why would anyone want to poach a turkey in the first place ... hunger?

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
I hope they catch that guy. There's no excuse!
Also, what the law's view on someone fleeing the scene of a hunting accident? If they ever catch him, they ought to lock him up for life on that.

·
Suspended Indefinitely
2,957 Posts
But that looks like what he deduced from the story...not what it said.

Just want to see if the victim is getting tagged as an "idiot" when in fact he shouldn't. :wink:
ME too. :shrug: This is from the other thread.

A Yell county man was shot last week while scouting for turkeys on his lease.
I know the guy that was shot but I have not talked to him. It was on a lease close to Lake Nimrod. He got nailed pretty good but was able to go home from the hospital later that night.

·
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Game warden said that he was calling.

My apologies for calling him an idiot if he was not calling.

Just reporting what I was told by a good source.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Selfbow he was not calling. You need to tell the GW to get his story straight.

I don't care if he was dressed in a turkey suit and gobbling like a madman. There was no excuse in him getting shot by a poacher on his own lease. Especially out of season to boot!

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
They heard a gobbler and had walked over to see if they could get a look at it. It started moving away from them, so they decided not to spook the bird. They turned around and headed back to their truck.

Not far from the truck, he was shot. He didn't even hear the shot blast.

Somebody killed 3 gobblers before season on their lease last year. They know who that was, but they don't know who this poacher was.

It amazes me at how these stories get so screwed up. Don't believe everything you hear, even if it is a game warden.

·
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They heard a gobbler and had walked over to see if they could get a look at it.
Bad mistake! Even on private property. Never walk to a gobbling turkey. If he is gobbling, someone may be calling to him. Humans walking, sound just like turkeys walking (Two legs)

This guy didn't call any that morning?

Sometimes we get complacent on OUR territory and forget about poachers.
If I had 3 gbblers killed last year on my lease, I would have considered that there MAY be poachers out there.

I hope that he is OK and they catch the shooter.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Bad mistake! Even on private property. Never walk to a gobbling turkey. If he is gobbling, someone may be calling to him. Humans walking, sound just like turkeys walking (Two legs)
So let me understand this.

A dude goes out on his own land to listen for a turkey hollering BEFORE season...so he is partially at fault for some low life trespasser shooting him...DUH:smack:

I think not.

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
It's gonna start spilling over on AGFC....they might would like to color it a little differently than actual events....the more they use late openings as a management technique, the more you have these early bird poachers. It can't happen as well when the birds aren't actively gobbling.....if you watch the evening news tonight you'll hear about the south pole melting away.....the planet may be tilting slightly on its axis causing early spring, and we all know that when you wait too long to open the season, weird things happen. Somebody needs to get up off it.....put hunters in the woods early and poachers will flee[to walmart for their license]! TJMHO~john

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
I cannot fathom how 99.999% of humans even remotely resemble a turkey. How do you shoot at something you aren't sure if it has a beard? Sounds like somebody is just another dipwad who feels he needs to brag about what a great hunter he is by killing more than his limit and doing it out of season. Wow, he has to be great. A great dip:censored: that is.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Reguardless if he was calling or going to a gobbling turkey, there is no excuse
for someone to get shot. EVEN IF HE WAS WALKING AROUND GOBBLING CARRYING A HUGE GOBBLER DECOY ON HIS BACK. That is poor judgement and stupidity on the shooter part. He should be convicted of a felony and any firarms hunting taken away. And then his hunting license be taken away for life for leaving the scene.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts