How many Turkeys did you kill in Ark. this season

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
6,919 Posts
ZERO!!!!

And I have a prediction for next year!

ZERO!!!!

Sadly, I hunt in the Ozarks, on Ozone Mountain. It's so remote, why should it have Turkey's??

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Member<br>2011 Turkey Contest Winner<br>2011-2012
801 Posts
Well I killed an old bird and then called one in for my dad.But we took both birds on property where there usually are not very many birds.And the places where I had found "ALOT" of birds in late winter they seemed to have left those areas???????

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
I killed 2 and was in on 1 more, but most of my buddies didn't do too great. I had to hunt much harder than the last few years for my 2 this year though...

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
My worst season ever...Killed zero. I think it had to do with the lack of acorns in a lot of areas. Poor turkeys just don't want to play the game.

·
Banned
6,919 Posts
My worst season ever...Killed zero. I think it had to do with the lack of acorns in a lot of areas. Poor turkeys just don't want to play the game.
If acorns are the problem, then why do Kansas and Nebraska have so many turkeys??? There sure ain't no acorns there.
Im not sure what the problem is, but we have a problem.

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
If acorns are the problem, then why do Kansas and Nebraska have so many turkeys??? There sure ain't no acorns there.
There's no doubt our numbers are WAY down. The lack of acorns in a lot of areas just added to the problem. I don't really know what to blame it on...predators, poaching, bad hatches, poor mgmt., over hunted....Who knows? As for Kansas and Nebraska, turkeys there aren't accustomed to eating acorns as much, so they don't depend on them. In the hardwood mtns. here in Arkansas, it's a primary food source....When there's a poor crop, they miss 'em. Couple that with poor numbers, and it sure makes for a frustrating season.:banghead:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Got two this year. :clap: Also got my personal best and was calling for two others. For me it was good year any way you slice it. I've heard some good reports and some bad reports.

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
We aren't the only state around to have an off year, you mentioned Kansas and I've talked to several people who said the birds did not cooperate well there either, same thing goes for perennial power Missouri. I think the crazy weather patterns had more to do with it this year than we realize. Don't get me wrong, some people had great hunts in these other states, but the majority I've talked to that usually tag out in Kansas and Missouri were lucky to get 1 bird per 4-5 hunters. If you ask some people here in Arkansas that tagged out, I'm sure they would say they had great seasons too. It will be interesting to see the harvest data of not just Arkansas, but some of the surrounding states as well. I think there will be a drop in harvest of most states this year...

·
Registered
13,212 Posts
I'm not a real experienced hunter but I felt like the weather hampered me. Maybe if I was a better hunter I could overcome it. I hunted on the week ends. Fridays were either stormy or windy. Saturday mornings were beautiful but I had to leave one Saturday at 8 AM and the next Saturday at 10 AM both for family commitments.

·
Registered
148 Posts
No reason for me to zeroed this year, but I did. Missed one the second weekend (5yds taking flight) and missed one the last tuesday (four longbeards at forty yds in the woods). Feels pretty foolish to say the least, but it happens. Did seem like there were fewer birds on one place I hunt, and more than usual on another place. Seems pretty spotty, but overall, down. Maybe less gobbling leading to the illusion that there are no turkeys. Dang hard to find them when they're not making a racket. Are there any hard numbers out there from surveys? Websites? I'll tell you this, I saw more coyote tracks this year than turkey tracks. Not exaggerating. Never been predator hunting, but I think we'd better get after it...not sure about the season. Any suggestions as to how to get started murdering coyotes? Maybe eradicating coyotes?

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
This was the first year in.......well it's been several years since I struck out here. I actually only got close to 2 turkeys that were gobbling good and did not see that many. I took part in the Spring Gobbler Survey for the AGFC and took a look at it this morning, man it's full of zeros. I wish it had a part to add what the weather conditions were for each day, because it seemed like that was a huge problem for me. I spent alot of days in the woods without even hearing a gobble (made my wife awful suspicious).

The turkeys didn't seem to be in the usual spots this year here at home and in Missouri where we have hunted for several years. Poor acorn crops are the major reason. I saw a post about Kansas turkeys. They don't have to rely on acorns for the most part. They have thousands upon thousands of acres of crop land to choose from, unlike here in the Ouachitas.

·
Member<br>'09 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner<br
174 Posts
Was in on two kills in Arkansas this year. One for me and the other for my hunting partner. The gobbling was pathetic. I don't know what's in store for Arkansas hunters but I don't think it's going to get any better next year. Thanks goodness for good management in surrounding states.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.