Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been turkey hunting for about 15 years now and have never owned any decoys. I have been looking at picking some up but I really don't know what to buy. I guess you can spend as much as you want to for these things. The ones I have been leaning towards are the Zinc Avian X decoys. These things look great but are they worth the money? I think for a combo pack with a jake and a hen they are around $150. Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member<br>Merganser Slayer<br>2011 Turkey
13,110 Posts
I don't use a decoy enough to justify spending that kind of money....but those Zink ones look like the real thing for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am wondering if something like the cherokee sport inflatable decoys would be a better option. I am not one to set up and wait on a turkey all morning. They seem like they would be easy to pack.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'm pretty mobile so I go as light as possible. If I do decide to carry a decoy it is usually a couple of those foam type that I can fold up and stick in the back of my vest.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
For running and gunning the Cherokees are nice. They are tougher than they look and I've seen quite a few turkeys shot over them. I rarely use decoys in Arkansas, but I do a lot in Kansas. The Avian X's are awesome and look like the real deal. That's what we've hunted over the past few years. We don't do near as much moving around up there though.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
I have a $20 hs strut hen decoy....... I use it for blind set ups or a rare field set up. It has fooled quite a few gobs. No way I'd spend $100 for a decoy. They can't tell the difference. Great prices at wing supply online

·
Registered
840 Posts
I've got the zink Avian X great looking decoy I mostly use it on out of state hunts works great. I use it mostly on slow afternoon hunts around here.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I rarely use decoys but generally prefer the lightweight foam ones that fold up easily. Use them a little more often in TX, and KS where it is more open and for afternoon and bad weather hunts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I filmed for Cherokee sports and I'm telling you there isn't a better decoy out there they are light weight you can carry a whole flock in your pockets and it weigh less than three pounds! The movement that you get from them in the slightest breeze makes a huge difference in getting a bird to fully commit!! And they are way tougher than u would think but also if u do get a hole in them they are super easy to patch!! I used the se strutted decoy for a full season and had it popped by turkey's 8 differnt times and patched it and it lasted me all season! That being said even if u can't patch it you could still buy 20 decoys for the price of two avian a or dsd's

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
I'm pretty mobile so I go as light as possible. If I do decide to carry a decoy it is usually a couple of those foam type that I can fold up and stick in the back of my vest.
If you're like me, it serves more as a back cushion than a decoy most of the time.

I carry one in my vest most of the time, but more often than not, I don't use it. Those Avians look great, but that's alot of money for dekes. I do own a Primos B-Mobil. I've had mixed results with it, mostly used on private land hunts out of state, not sure I'm courageous enough to use it on public land. It does make a nice decoration for our Missouri camp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This will be the third season I've used an Avian X and it's the best looking and toughest decoy I've ever owned. The stuff they are made out of is really durable. I figured I'd spend the money and have a decoy that would last for awhile rather than buy one every few years. And considering how real it looks, it doesn't bother me to haul it around all season.

·
Super Member<br>2015 Spring Turkey Team Contest Wi
Arrow
2,436 Posts
I use the feather flex foam ones. Like juice said they make a great back cushion. Ive got a b mobile also and have had gobblers come a runnin and have had em avoid it like it was a predator. Ive had best results on pipelines and fields with a feather flex hen and jake.

·
Registered
13,385 Posts
My feather flex foam ones have been lugged around for 14 years. I've had to touch up the paint a few times, esp on the jake head, but other than that they're plenty tough enough.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts