Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got out my turkey calls this afternoon and went through them all. I have about 20 mouth calls and found several that are worn out and needed to be tossed. I like the H.S. Strut diaphragm calls in single and double D and the raspy old hen in the same brand. Last year I broke my glass/slate caller so I made a trip to Wal Mart and picked up a double duce glass call. It sounds pretty good and I spent about 30 minutes fooling with it.
After about 2 hours my neighbor called me and wanted to know how long it was going to take to call up a turkey. So I moved to the other side of the house for a while. So where do you practice? :thumb:

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
i ain't figured out a way to practice in the truck with a box call while driving yet, so i just practice at home when no one is around

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
i ain't figured out a way to practice in the truck with a box call while driving yet, so i just practice at home when no one is around

Take it in the truck with you and lay it on the seat beside you. Any time you stop at a light or stop sign, grab it and hit a few strokes on it. Just make sure you pay attention to the traffic around you. Any time you park to go in anywhere, grab the call and hit a few strokes before you leave the truck.

·
Super Moderator<br>2012-13 Deer Hunting Contest Wi
11,017 Posts
I keep at least 5 mouth calls in the truck. Some are getting broke in and some are being weeded out. My friction calls are in the house and when a commercial comes on they come out. I have a Glass Witch and 4 strikers on the coffee table now since it is new. Going to break out the others this weekend.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have eleven pots with I don't know how many strikers, ten mouth calls, and a sack full of assorted stuff (wingbones, pushbuttons, scratch boxes of several different types of wood, snuff cans, other tubes, I'm not even sure what else. Don't even want to use but a couple of the pots, two strikers, one box call, and probably all of the mouth calls. This is shameful I'm thinking. Practice...at work-my employees don't really complain like my wife!:thumb:

·
Premium Member
14,537 Posts
I like to run em outside 'cause it sounds different than inside
Mike
I take that one step further with every call I use (yes, I'm a fanatic!). Your call will sound much different outdoors or even in a real big room than it will in a truck or house. Your call also sounds much different 20 yds. away than it does while you run it.

Take a video camera and set it up outside. Walk 20-30yds. away and commence to calling. Listen to the tape and you just might be surprised.

I've got calls that sound real good in the truck that I won't take to the woods and I've got a call or two that just make you wince in a truck but sound great in the woods.

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
I don't do much practicing anymore. Usually I'll break out my mouthcall when I get out of the truck and by the time I get set up on a bird, the call is ready to go.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I buy 2 or 3 new cutting mouth calls each year and toss the old ones. I don't mess with trying to revive old ones anymore unless I just have too.

I wil rough up my slate the night before and break in a mouth call and be ready to go. I just need to get near a bird that half way wants to cooperate. The calling will take care of itself (I think?). Wait, I better get those calls out and start practicing! :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I usually check out the mouth calls before I hunt with them because I often have to trim a new one. I can get a better sound and have better control of one that has been slightly trimmed. :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts