Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about the need or importance of tumbling your brass to be reloaded. As I get deeper into this and decide to load for more calibers and acquire more calibers that need to be loaded :)biggrin:) I find more things I need or think I need. But one of the first, probably next, item is going to be building a decent bench.

While we're at it what media would you suggest?

·
Administrator
87,179 Posts
I tumble all of my brass. Clean brass is easier to reload, and feeds better. You can buy a great tumbler from Midway, the Frankfort Arsenal tumbler.

Here's a tumbler and media separator...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=414369&t=11082005

I use corn cob media and it does a great job. The brass is so shiny that you can use it for a mirror. I usually let my brass tumble overnight. There is also crushed walnut media. Some like one over the other, I have always used corn cob so have never tried the walnut. In stead of ordering the high priced corn cob media from the reloading places, I buy 50 pound boxes from Grainger for about $20.

·
Administrator
87,179 Posts
I'll tell you another secret...

Instead of buying the high priced "polishing" liquid that you pour into the media for about $8 for an 8 oz bottle, take a plastic bottle and mix Nu-Finish car polish and mineral spirits 50/50. Pour an ounce or two into the media and run it for about 5 minutes to distribute is in the media and then throw the brass into it. The brass will be shinier than factory new!! Nu-Finish comes in a 32 oz bottle, and mixing it 50/50 with mineral spirits you'll have 64 oz of polish for about 5 bucks.

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
I'll tell you another secret...

Instead of buying the high priced "polishing" liquid that you pour into the media for about $8 for an 8 oz bottle, take a plastic bottle and mix Nu-Finish car polish and mineral spirits 50/50. Pour an ounce or two into the media and run it for about 5 minutes to distribute is in the media and then throw the brass into it. The brass will be shinier than factory new!! Nu-Finish comes in a 32 oz bottle, and mixing it 50/50 with mineral spirits you'll have 64 oz of polish for about 5 bucks.
I'll try it :up:

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A person needs to have a plan I guess or at least that's what I've been told. I've got a single stage press that I've been using to load my rifle rounds with and that's probably what I'll stick with but up grade to a stouter press, eventually. I've got a tumbler ordered so next on the list would be a 9mm (whoops what's that got to do with this list?) I'll try to get the lumber this weekend and start a bench. I've kinda been looking at the one one Steve's page and then get back in the market for a progressive to turn out handgun rounds. But in the mean time I'll keep burning powder and saving brass, after all if a good progressive will spit out 500/600 rounds per hour right know I'd be through in about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
There's benefits to both types of media. Walnut is great for tumbling tarnished brass - if its really bad, leave it overnight and it'll look like new in the morning. I also use corn cob media, both for relatively clean brass, and to put a 'finishing polish' on what I tumble in walnut. My corn cob media is the green treated Lyman stuff. It's real similar to jeweler's rouge. I don't like that it leaves a green haze on my brass and I have to wipe it off by hand, but boy does it shine!

I use Simonize car wax like that - I figure any polishing compound will work just as well. Sometimes I put Brasso in my walnut media if I'm tumbling REALLY tarnished brass. Works great!

As for saving money on media, you can get untreated corn cob and walnut both from Walmart in the pet department. It's the same stuff folks use for reptile bedding :up:

·
Administrator
87,179 Posts
As for saving money on media, you can get untreated corn cob and walnut both from Walmart in the pet department. It's the same stuff folks use for reptile bedding :up:
If you are tumbling rifle brass, specially small caliber like 223 and 243, be sure to get 1/8" grit, not the 1/4" grit if you get pet bedding media. I have bought it from Petco before I started buying in bulk. The 1/4" will get stuck in the case and it's almost impossible to get out. Ask me how I know... :smack:

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
While we're on tumbling, I've cleaned about 3,000 various and sundry cases in the last two months with a Lyman Pro-Magnum tumbler with the spigot thingy that spits out the media and leaves the brass. This thing worked great guns until last week when the motor froze up :smack: right in the middle of a load of .45acp's. Lyman says 90 days warranty on the motors, and I just found my reciept, so I'm gonna find out the hard way how Lyman treats customers with problems. I'll post up what happens....:skeptical:

And thanks once again to Mr. C for the polishing compound recipie. I tried a bunch of stuff I had around the house like Boraxo, Turtle wax polish, and some other stuff. Nothing worked as well as I wanted, so I broke down and bought some Flitz (the expensive stuff MR. C was talking about). I'm gonna try that recipie just as soon as Lyman figgers out what to do with my dead tumbler!

·
Administrator
87,179 Posts
While we're on tumbling, I've cleaned about 3,000 various and sundry cases in the last two months with a Lyman Pro-Magnum tumbler with the spigot thingy that spits out the media and leaves the brass. This thing worked great guns until last week when the motor froze up :smack: right in the middle of a load of .45acp's. Lyman says 90 days warranty on the motors, and I just found my reciept, so I'm gonna find out the hard way how Lyman treats customers with problems. I'll post up what happens....:skeptical:
If it is out of the 90 day warranty, see how much they charge for a motor. It you think it is out of line, take the motor to a Grainger store and they can probably match it. I've done this before with good results.

And thanks once again to Mr. C for the polishing compound recipie. I tried a bunch of stuff I had around the house like Boraxo, Turtle wax polish, and some other stuff. Nothing worked as well as I wanted, so I broke down and bought some Flitz (the expensive stuff MR. C was talking about). I'm gonna try that recipie just as soon as Lyman figgers out what to do with my dead tumbler!
I haven't used flitz, I know of others that have, but not me. I use the 50/50 mixture of Nu-Finish liquid car polish and mineral spirits.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.