trying to pick out a boat

Discussion in 'Vehicles, Boats, Campers, & ATVs' started by factory909, Feb 13, 2008.

1. factory909

factory909 Well-Known Member

I am trying to pick out a boat to buy. I really need it for just going up and down the white river and our annual mississippi trip. I have found a few 14' jon boats with 15HP. This would be fine for white river, but would it be adequate enough for the mississippi(sp?)? I would like to stay away from a Bass boat.
    f909

2. bett_lou

bett_lou Moderator<br>Campfire<br>Humor & Games<br>'07 Deer

The Mississippi River?? I wouldn't get in it in a 14 foot jon boat.

3. factory909

What would you suggest? I live in Batesville, and would like to fish all around Ind. county. My only worry was/is Mississippi River.

4. bett_lou

Well the Mississippi is so wide and the current is so strong you need a bigger size motor to cross it and navigate it. I've lost friends in the Mississippi due to boats being to small. The barges that come down it push up a big wake. My Daddy says he's put in a 14 foot boat in the MS and tried to cross it and the current pushed him a mile down the river before he got across. I was never allowed on the MS. River because of the dangers.

We have a river boat captain that works on the Mississippi River on here. I know he could tell you more.

5. live2hunt

live2hunt Well-Known Member

If I was going to be on the Mississippi a lot I would not have anything smaller than a 16ft boat with 40hp motor on it.

6. three rivers

three rivers Well-Known Member

Hey fella, i'd look for something a little bigger if your going to be fishing it much. If i were buying it'd be 16ft at least if your going to fish the mississippi. If i were to buy again its going to be 20ft, right now i fish out of a 17fter and its close quarters.

There was a few fellas that fished out of one a few years back. It can be done, but you'd have to be very careful especially around any tugs etc. This also depends on your type of fishing, whether you'd be anchoring or drifting. Up at osceola we ran into a fella at the ramp that was up in his 70's fishing out of a 14fter with a 6hp. Said hes been doing it all his life and would drift along slow current. As he took off across the river he was loosing ground until he got to the inside bank in the slower current. No way did it even look safe!

Another thing, 15hp is pushing it considering you may need the extra hp to get you out of trouble! Fishing the mississippi is nothing like the white, everything you do has to do with safety first and formost. Would be a good idea to go out with someone first to get an idea of what your looking at! Hope you find the boat your wanting and good luck on the mississippi! This right here is a friend working a pole over good this year....nothing like it!

[​IMG]

7. ar bowhunter

ar bowhunter Well-Known Member

Hey factory, I live up here by ya just south of Batesville. I fish the Missippy river alot and I would not get on it in a 14ft boat. I have seen a few boats that size out on the river. Most of the time it would be fine but with all the barge traffic the river can get tore up with big waves QUICK!!!

My boat is a 19ft Lowe and it handles the river good but I am going to upgrade to a 20ft boat with a 72 inch bottom soon.

I just purchased a 14ft boat to fish around here. Can't put the big boat in just everywhere. I'm now looking for a 15hp motor to go on the little boat.

What brand of motor have you decided on?

8. factory909

I would like something in the 25-40HP range.

9. three rivers

Ever have someone fall out of that 19fter???? :cool:

10. ar bowhunter

Yeah, A feller from Jackson county. He fell right out in the Miss. river. I think he flies by the name Three Rivers.:thumb:

Hey man, I will get your DVD back to ya as soon as I see you again and let ya borrow mine.

11. bett_lou

Y'all wanna tell us about this?

12. zane

zane Well-Known Member

I have a 15 or 16 foot wide bottom Express with a 50hp motor. It is stable but I have never had it on the Mississippi before.

My brother has a big War Eagle that is very wide so check em both out

13. three rivers

Bruh, i totally forgot about it! Any interest in fishing new madrid if the river/weather will cooperate? I'm headed up there soons the river and weather gets bareable. I had hoped for friday but it looks like the forcast has changed unfortunately for the worse. Maybe in the next couple weeks the sun will shine on me for a day.

Bett, had something to do with the curly shuffle, ar bowhunter had such a better view i'm sure he can elaborate alot better than i. :biggrin:

14. fullcredit

fullcredit Super Moderator Staff Member

I've been up the Mr Sippi in a 14' low sided boat with a 7.5 Sears motor with a blown head gasket many times, but I think I've gotten a little wiser. I now have a 15-42 War Eagle with a 25 Merc. I get on the river several times a year going to Tunica Lake, which does involve crossing the river. It's okay as long as there are no barges in sight or there is not a strong south wind. If you get on the river enough, you are likely to run into some problems. You gotta use yer head!

15. Manybeards

Manybeards Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20

x2 The Miss is nothing to play around with

16. ar bowhunter

Yeah, just give me a call when you get ready to go. I'll just have to see how full my schedule is at the time.

17. Arkie_3_fan

Arkie_3_fan Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like you may need two boats... or a friend that you can fish with a lot that will buy a big boat and take you on the Mississippi with him. :thumb:
    A friend of ours has a camp over near the White River and he bought a new boat that's 18ft and has either a 60 or 90hp motor on it just because one of the places he likes to fish requires him to get out on the big river for a very short distance. He said that short little boat ride was just too hairy in his old 16' with a 40hp motor.

18. factory909

I have been up and down the river plenty of summers on my cousins 14' w/ 25HP. I think when we go to the mississippi we are just going to use his skeeter w/ 90HP. I have found a boat in the local paper..14' Lowe boat w/ 15HP with trailor for $1500. I am really wanting to get a boat of my own, mainly just to get out on the river on the weekends. Thanks for all the input.
    f909

19. bett_lou

Bett, had something to do with the curly shuffle, ar bowhunter had such a better view i'm sure he can elaborate alot better than i. :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

I know about the Curly Shuffle! :biggrin: