True Grit

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by y hunt, Dec 24, 2010.

1. y hunt

y hunt Super Moderator Staff Member

Well I went to see the movie. The first theater I have been in for many years. I thought it was a very good movie. I now will have a new generation that will understand when I state I am from Dardanelle of Yell County Arkansas. The name Y Hunt is short for Yell County Arkansas Hunter.

2. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

I don't go to many movies, but want to see this one. I've always liked the original.

3. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Well-Known Member

AMEN! Yell County IS God's country. I used to live there myself! Plan to die there. :thumb:

4. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

I have heard it was a really good movie..

5. Hip

Hip Well-Known Member

saw it a couole nights ago, very good acting and plenty of funny parts too

6. bow4me

bow4me Well-Known Member

I'll stick with John Wayne.

7. ralin

ralin Well-Known Member

Cant replace the Duke! But I want to see the movie.

8. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

I want to see it I just have to keep in mind they wasn't remaking the movie but baseing a new movie on the book. The auther was from hamburg Ar which is not far from where I grew up.

9. Down on the White

Down on the White Well-Known Member

The Duke will always have the corner in my opinion.:up:

10. bow4me

bow4me Well-Known Member

All the talk about the new movie being different from the original is BS. It is a little different but for the most part its the same without John Wayne. All the talk about the original being a comedy and JW being a goofy drunk is not true either the new one is more of a comedy and Bridges is drunk the whole movie. And one more rant the ending in the original when JW jumps the fence was a way better ending. The only thing the new one has on the original is 2010 vs 1969. And I thought Matt Damon played an excellent part and pulled off a perfect southern draw.

11. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

I really want to see this movie , I have watched the trailer and I can tell from it that Jeff Bridges landed that role. I liked him in Hickok. Matt Damon is also an excellent actor. I will probably get hammered for this but I really never liked John Wayne as an actor. This movie has to be way better than the original.

12. bracomadar

bracomadar Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see this movie, but I refuse to go back to a theater. I just hate that whole experience. Too bad they didn't film it here in Arkansas and Oklahoma. I heard they decided to shoot in New Mexico because the taxes on making a film were too high here :banghead: ...and we didn't have months of snow on the ground for the scenes they wanted to shoot.

13. Thenarwhal

Thenarwhal Well-Known Member

Fast horses

Anyone ever notice that in the original movie they start out at Fort Smith and are in the Rocky Mountains within a couple days of horseback riding?

14. newton29

newton29 Well-Known Member

NWA
    I enjoyed the movie. The terrain, even if not filmed in OK, is a little more representative of the area than in the original movie. I thought the bad guys and the good did good acting jobs.

The most unenjoyable part for me was paying $9 for a movie ticket. When did that happen?

15. shady grove

shady grove Well-Known Member

You shouldnt get hammered for stating that, I dont plan on seeing the remake though. I dont have any use for matt damon or bridges, John Wayne wouldnt either.

16. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

Probably a lot of John Wayne fans on here.

17. flydown

flydown Well-Known Member

Beebe
    I'm right there with you. I always thought that John Wayne tried to act bigger than life too much. He was a big man, but not 10 feet tall and bullet proof. There were some of his movies that I liked but for the most part, I did not like his movies. I don't know that I have ever actualy seen all of the original True Grit.

And just for the record, Lynard Skynard was not the greatest rock band ever.

18. bow4me

bow4me Well-Known Member

I don't want to hear it next thing you'll be saying Kurt Russel is a better cowboy than John Wayne. But you ladies don't feel bad my wife doesn't get JW either.

19. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

U say he acted bigger than life. Well that was the point he always played the part of a mans man. The parts he played never took no crap from anyone. Also they said what they thought. U can't play the part of the hero without being bigger than life.

20. Rebel

Rebel Well-Known Member

He did always play the part of a man's man , that was the only character he knew how to play.