Truck Camper Tips? Dealer recommendations?

Discussion in 'Vehicles, Boats, Campers, & ATVs' started by BKS, May 13, 2018.

1. BKS

BKS Well-Known Member

I am thinking of adding a truck camper to my truck 2011 F150 for quick trips hunting etc.
    I am looking for any information you would like to share about these things, I’ve never had one.
    I live in Jonesboro and the Leer website shows DNW is a dealer around here. Anybody have any other recommendations within driving distance?
    What can I expect to spend on something like this?

2. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

Cabot
    I live in Central Ark and have always used Goss Campers and always had good experiences.

Make sure you get at least one side window that is like the back window and folds up, you will not have to crawl into back to get something out that is next to cab in bed.

BKS likes this.

3. Mr. Chitlin

Mr. Chitlin Administrator Staff Member

NE Ark
    Definitely have a window on the passenger side so you can see out of it.

I've had 2 shells and 2 bed covers. The last 2 I have bought have been bed covers. I prefer the lower profile of the bed cover. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Either way, it's nice being able the throw your stuff in the back of the truck and it stay dry and not blow out.

brushcreek, reflex1 and BKS like this.
  4. JR1

JR1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What bed cover did you go with? I'm in the market.

BKS likes this.
  5. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    On my 2000 Ranger I had an Undercover hard cover. I loved it. It was strong enough that you could walk on it if needed. It lifted to about 30° and was light and easy to remove with just 2 hooks behind the cab.
    [​IMG]

I just bought a new GMC Z71 a month or so ago and I went with the tri fold hard
    Undercover cover. It folds up almost to the cab if I needed to haul anything big. It was $900 installed locally and at the time had a $75 rebate so that basically covered the sales tax.
    [​IMG]

BKS likes this.
  6. juleo

juleo Well-Known Member

Conway
    If you keep your eyes peeled, you can find them used and in good shape.
    Mine has vent windows on the sides and the back opens up all the way. I wanted one that opened on the sides but I found this one and traded a pistol I only had about $250 in.
    Save your receipt for when you buy new piston shocks. They go out but most offer lifetime warranty so you can replace them for nothing at the auto parts store.
    Put a cushion between the shell and your paint job. They will scratch your paint job.
    Last but not least, take names of all the people who make fun of you for having a camper shell. Then don't let them put anything inside when it's raining.

brushcreek, curdog1 and BKS like this.
  7. Mr. Chitlin

NE Ark
    Here’s what’s on my truck @JR1

5C7B312C-DBEC-4E1A-AAA1-E32C5DFADA70.jpeg

C1B7DDD0-D12C-4ACC-BF1D-2CEAAB16EB25.jpeg

JR1 likes this.
  8. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    I’ve got an Undercover tri fold on my Sierra as well and absolutely love it. They’re not cheap, but I definitely wish I would have bought one sooner. You can fold it all the way up and still get a fourwheeler in your bed/have full use of the bed. So nice to have my stuff out of sight and locked up and not have to worry about it. I’ve got the generation before yours, can’t remember what it’s called, but yours is the “new and improved” version I think. Only (minor) complaint I have is that it still allows a little dust in when going down gravel, and if my truck is sitting still in a downpour it allows a slight amount of water in, but not enough to worry too much about. They may have fixed both of those issues with the latest (your) version, I’m not sure.

JR1 and Mr. Chitlin like this.
  9. SUPERMAG

SUPERMAG Well-Known Member

US Truck Accessories in Searcy is where I ordered my Leer shell. Had the best price, and service was great!

10. orangefeetdown

orangefeetdown Well-Known Member

NEA
    Have heard good things about them from serval people.

11. hogsbreath

hogsbreath Well-Known Member

I have the Undercover Ultra Flex, too. I recommend it. Mine is new, purchased in March. As stated above, dust is an issue on gravel roads, but I haven’t had any issues with leaks. It’s very handy, and secure enough for me when the tailgate is locked.

orangefeetdown likes this.
  12. sam

sam Grand Member<br>2007 Photo Contest Winner<br>

I've had the Undercover hard cover on my last three trucks. The best thing about having the cover, for me, is that it keeps me from doing stupid stuff, like sitting a 1500 pound round bale of hay in the bed and warping the tailgate when you roll it off. With the bed cover I'll hook up to a trailer for big stuff, like I ought too. Also great for trips and for dry storage at deer camp. I can take it off in about 5 minutes, alone, quicker with help. I'll not own a truck without one of these or maybe a camper shell.

JR1 likes this.