Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i plan on moving from west tennessee to the mt home or surrounding area. i have never trout fished . i have very little experience fly fishing did some blue gill fishing with a fly rod. what do you guys recommend for a out fit ? i was thinking of a 5 wt rod 8 ft ?. would i start with a floating line or a sinking line ? leaning toward a floating line to start off. any fly shops around there ? not looking for a hi buck out fit was thinking of a low end set up. i had has an orvis out fit . also a $ 25.00 rod did not cast any better with the orvis :doh: there news papers or shopper papers that sell used items ? been thinking about a cabalas starter out fit for around $100.00 or so. i can not afford any more.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
i have one of the cabelas outfits in a 5wt 8ft and really like it. i have caught everything from small trout to 5 lb hybrids on it and never had any problems. i got it on sale carrying case and all for 90 bucks:biggrin:

·
Registered
988 Posts
I've never fly fished but always wanted to try it out. I do like trout fishing with light weight tackle. It's a blast. Don't forget your tape measure there is a slot limit. Best of luck to ya and welcome Arkansas Welcome home

·
Registered
11,692 Posts
I've caught probably 2K trout and have never touched a fly rod. If the river's not flowing really fast I love to us small lures like rhapala minnows, rebel crawdads, rooster tails. Basically the same stuff you would used to catch small bass or crappie. I use an ultra-light rod.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i enjoy lt to ultra light also. wind does not matter much.the last fly outfit i had i think i used it 3 times in 6 months. i just cant get into it that much. but like to catch bluegills with it. any think with rubber legs on it will catch blue gills. i have some soft plastic helgamites (sp) that i like to use some are 2" some are 3" if no hits on a 2 "er i will cut off a 1/2" or so. looks almost like a cricket that way. use behind a 0 size spinner also have some plastic worms about 2" long also at times they work great there built in garlic scented hand poured super soft. :biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.