Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to learn a little more about trout fishing. I am a bass chaser that does a lot of tournaments and some amount of outdoor writing. I have recently gotten the Little Rock Fishing Examiner gig and need to learn about other types of fishing and I think that trout fishing would be pretty fun. If anybody has any tips or suggestions, lets here em'.

·
3,605 Posts
I want to learn a little more about trout fishing. I am a bass chaser that does a lot of tournaments and some amount of outdoor writing. I have recently gotten the Little Rock Fishing Examiner gig and need to learn about other types of fishing and I think that trout fishing would be pretty fun. If anybody has any tips or suggestions, lets here em'.
Pretend that you are bass fishing if you want to catch BIG fish.
Zara Spooks and other jerk baits cast around cover early and late on the Red river.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Selfbow is correct, trout (browns anyway) are predatory fish. They like to hide behind structure, in rip currents, moss beds, etc. and attack their prey. Although I don't throw top waters, I do jerk rogues often. Waht I like to call good "rice field" days are good brown trout days. Cloudy rainy, nasty days are the best for big browns. October at night can produce some good fish on the Little Red. And if you think the full moon helps, it doesn't. No moon, pitch black nights are the best.

Marabou jigs are my weapon of choice. I order my jig heads from PJ's Finesse Baits. www.ejigs.com

There's another jig on the market that's pretty good as well. The zig jig. www.zigjig.net These jigs are good, but the zig-zag action while the jig is falling is false. These jigs DO catch fish. I just wouldn't buy this one over another because they claim that they zig and zag as they fall.

I fish PJ's jigs more because they offer the jig heads for sale in bulk and I can tie my own. The zig jigs are about $3 for two. I can tie about 50 for $3.

Equipment is important. With my jigs I fish a 6 1/2 ft. G-Loomis ultra lite with 2lb. Maxima Ultragreen line. With my rogues I fish a 6 1/2 ft. medium action G-Loomis with 8lb. Maxima Ultragreen line. Reels need to have a good drag system. I personally fish Shimano, but there are tons of good reels out there.

I don't bass fish big lakes any more. Every now and then I'll fish a private reservoir. All I do now is chase trout. If tournament fishing is your thing, there are plenty of trout tournaments out there. I've got a boat to prove it :up:

Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Primarily, yes. Always, no. I learned a long time ago that the best method for fishing is however you can catch them. I fish from a boat most of the time. When the water is low, I like to fly fish and that typically involves wading. However, there are some good holes on both the Little Red and the White that during low water, are still too deep to wade and therefore require a boat.

Tournaments are pretty simple. All legal rod and reel fishing allowed. Start time, weigh in time. Put in anywhere on the river. Must return to weigh in by boat. 5 fish limit (which now gets tricky with trout since culling is no longer allowed). Total weight wins.

Lilly's Landing on Taneycomo, www.lilleyslanding.com hosts a number of tournamnets. If you've never fished Taneycomo I HIGHLY recomend it. I wish whoever is in charge of our trout waters would spend some time up there and learn what a slot limit is.

Supreme Boats used to host a tournament out of Cotter every year up on the White. Great tournament. Always had a good turnout. The guys who bought Supreme Boats are doing the best job anyone could possibly ever do at DESTROYING a perfectly good company, and quite possibly the finest trout boat every made. I don't think they put on the tournament anymore. I haven't fished it in the last two years so I'm not really sure. The website is down, probably because they figured out how to screw that up too.

Keep your ear to the ground and sometimes there's one on the Little Red every now and again. I think the Trout Magnet guy put one on one year on the Little Red. I might have just made that up, but it sounds right.

I think it would be pretty fun to have on on the Little Red.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Are these fly fishing tournaments or spinning?

I wade fish the little red quite a bit, primarily below swinging bridge. I'm sure you know how crowded that can be. I have a fly rod (can't use it too well) but prefer spin fishing. If you ever need someone to tag along, let me know.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
use big shiner's or sculpin's caught in the river for big one's. if your talkin about artifical you can use a crankbait when they are generating. Buddy of mine caught a 9lb brown on a deep diving stick bait and I have caught a couple that way. If you wanna fish for perch(rainbows) then get some white and yellow powerbait and you'll catch little one's all day. The live bait Ive only used in the winter months right before spring when grandaddy's are biting.

·
3,605 Posts
You should definitely check out the Trout Magnet. www.troutmagnet.com
Tie it on with a split shot about 8 inches above the lure. Use the floats they sell and once you find the right depth, it is on! I believe they have tutorials on the website as well.
Those work great in swift water.
I met the dude that invented that little duzy on a mountain in Colorado while I was Elk hunting.. He gave me a box full and we tore up the native brooks and cutthroats on them.
Nice guy from Searcy.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Supreme Boats used to host a tournament out of Cotter every year up on the White. I don't think they put on the tournament anymore.
i got the invitation to fish it this year,

i guess they shut the doors, but i understand the old owner is making them again under a new name with some slight modifications so they won't fit in the old mold.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Good to know its still going on. I got married two years ago the day of the tournament. Haven't fished it since.

I don't know if they shut the doors or not. Arts Marine in North Little Rock carries them. You can go to their web sit eand they have a couple listed there. The same model boat as mine with the economy trailer and a 15 horse is $9,500!!!! If you want a 25 horse, it's $10,700.

I price mine out after we won it in the tournament. Boat, delux trailer, and a brand new 25 Yamaha was in the $7,200 range.

I glad to hear that Al might be making them again. Keep me posted on what you hear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Susie, where's your folks place on the Little Red? My folks have a place on River Bend Road. You would think I would do a little more trout fishing, huh? We stay there when the BFL comes to Greers. You should see some of the looks we get out there. I think the funniest time was when I stopped at the Exxon station at the intersection and asked where I could put my 21 foot Ranger. Lol

·
Registered
282 Posts
I may be of some help, I have been a guide on the White River, North fork, and Crooked Creek for over 30 years. If you are going to do some thing on the White contac me at [email protected] and I'll see what we can work out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.