Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like suggestions on what I should do. I hunt close to several homes. For years, I have had problems with the neighbors dogs barking at me, following to my stand and continue to bark. They often leave but chase squirrels and seems like they come back right at the best time to see a deer. This is not in any city, so there probably isn't a leash law. I live an hour away from where I hunt, so it's hard to keep an eye out as much as I would like. Years ago I was so feed up with it that I bought a air pistol that ran off CO2. But I never brought myself to actually taking it. About all I have tried to this point is chasing the dogs and throwing things at them. Any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
9,501 Posts
Bring along some good bones or something. Then when they approach you as you go in...toss them a big meaty bone. They should take it and go off to work on it somewhere and not follow you in.
Just the first thought I had. They will be busy and quiet for a while at least

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Bring along some good bones or something. Then when they approach you as you go in...toss them a big meaty bone. They should take it and go off to work on it somewhere and not follow you in.
Just the first thought I had. They will be busy and quiet for a while at least
I wouldn't suggest that or ever time they here you they will come running for a snack. I use the kids pellet gun on the ones I cant put a permanent end too. I had trouble with a neighbors dog coming in the yard all the time ,so I started shooting it with the kiss pellet gun and then I would yell at it. Then I could just yell at it and I didn't have to shoot it.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I would take a shotgun and light loads and burn their butts up, done it before. I can't stand people that let dogs run loose everywhere. If they want them, they should keep them at home or in the house/pen.
I wouldn't feed them anything. Contact who has them and tell them there is an issue. If they neglect to control the animals I'd take action on them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thought about talking to owners but they do not approve of me hunting so close to their house. I only own 3.5 acres so it's not like I can get all that far from them. 90% of the time I bow hunt and they don't say anything. One time my son who was 6 or 7 at the time wanted to go. So I took a ground blind and his red rider BB gun. Wore orange to be legal. Here comes the neighbor walking thru the woods. Told me I didn't need to hunt there. I told him that it was my land and would hunt where I wanted. I told him that I wasn't stupid with guns and know where to shoot and where not to shoot. He wasn't happy but left.

Scared if I shoot to kill one of the dogs, it could make it back to their yard. That will only make the situation worse.

I had problems with my dogs digging under our backyard fence. Borrowed a electric fence that worked like a charm. I was only plugged in for a week. They make some that are solar powered. Might have to put up a few signs to warn neighbors.

Thanks for the great responses.

·
Registered
15,069 Posts
Thought about talking to owners but they do not approve of me hunting so close to their house. I only own 3.5 acres so it's not like I can get all that far from them. 90% of the time I bow hunt and they don't say anything. One time my son who was 6 or 7 at the time wanted to go. So I took a ground blind and his red rider BB gun. Wore orange to be legal. Here comes the neighbor walking thru the woods. Told me I didn't need to hunt there. I told him that it was my land and would hunt where I wanted. I told him that I wasn't stupid with guns and know where to shoot and where not to shoot. He wasn't happy but left.

Scared if I shoot to kill one of the dogs, it could make it back to their yard. That will only make the situation worse.

I had problems with my dogs digging under our backyard fence. Borrowed a electric fence that worked like a charm. I was only plugged in for a week. They make some that are solar powered. Might have to put up a few signs to warn neighbors.

Thanks for the great responses.
3.5 acres of prime deer habitat I presume? I'd imagine they probably don't appreciate you hunting that close to their house. But have you tried baking some brownies and taking them to your neighbors, then just sit down and talk with them about anything other than hunting so that they can see what a nice guy you are?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Found myself in the same situation a couple years back.

Borrowed my son's paintball gun with red paint. Let the dog get to the bottom of my stand and cut loose on him. Several shots rang home and he headed straight to his house. Neighbor came home and accused me of shooting Sparky and he was going to die with blood everywhere. I never broke the skin and told the owner that Sparky had earned the right to fight for his life at least through the night. He pulled through of course, he wasn't even hurt.

Two days later, Sparky got ran over by the Fedex guy.

Give it a little time for the situation to work its way out.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.