treeing with other dogs but will not bark on track need help

Discussion in 'Huntin' Dogs' started by Imca19, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Imca19

Imca19 Member

walker 1 year old will tree with others but will not bark on track any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

2. BowHunter21

BowHunter21 Select Member<br>2015-16 Deer Hunting Contest Winn

Sheridan
    I'm no expert by any means so take this with a grain of salt!!!

but if he's treein with other dogs I think I would try to hunt him solo for a while and see if he'll put it together on his own... He may be becoming dependent on the older dogs he's runnin with.. but on the other hand, he is still young and just may take a lil more time and confidence in himself to bawl on track.

3. how long since he started treein with other dogs?

4. gunslinger66

gunslinger66 Account Suspended

He will come around, I would hunt him by his self some this may help. One thing I have noticed is a lot of these pups now days are a little tighter mouthed.

5. Put him in some thick stuff.. I've seen tight mouthed dogs open in thickets...

6. gunslinger66

gunslinger66 Account Suspended

That is right I have seen a dog open more when they have to slow down and work instead of just flying a track through the woods.

7. firecat

firecat Well-Known Member

put him on leash and tie back so he can't get to tree and let others belly up to tree while he watches

8. He didnt say he was loose at the tree, he said he wont open on track. I wouldnt throw himm out there by himself too quick, he can make some hard to break habits.

9. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got a good potential hog dog pm me if you get tired of him.

10. firecat

firecat Well-Known Member

i have redbone at 5 months old was running and treeing<silent> with older dog- i tied her back about 15 yrds when they treed and she hasn't made sound. in just few minutes she was baying her head off and trying to get to tree. the very NEXT time i took her out she opened on track and belly up tree chopped. thats not that rare her litter mate <male>was same way i tied him back and he broke into bay on track and chopping on tree where before he never made a peep. maybe you had other results? i just offered what i thought would work.

11. niterage272

niterage272 Well-Known Member

firecat u have a point,when my dogs are not getting struck quick enough to suit me in a hunt i will hold mine back while my son turns the others loose.they raise cain and after a few times of that they seem to open quicker.never had to do it at the tree though.

12. I wasnt scolding you for your responce, I thought you may have miss understood what the problem was. I have done that to help a dog show the tree a little better. Ive had dogs that just didnt saymuch on track, conditions and age have alot to do with it to. No offence meant.....

13. jtollett1984

jtollett1984 Well-Known Member

SW AR
    Some dogs just don't open on track much. Most of the time it is a genetic issue. Tight mouth will produce tight mouth. NOT ALL THE TIME but lots of times. It'll come with age. I have had lots of pups that would put much mouth out on the track but as they got older they barked more. I like tight mouth dogs. They tend to work the track faster and get treed faster with the coon. Easy to call to. If they are barking much you know they are treed

14. Bucker10

Bucker10 Well-Known Member

The best thing you can do is get him in the woods as much as possible.