Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done this? I have quite a few up to 4” diameter honey locust that are too tall to spray effectively. Spraying the lower 18” of trunk seems almost too easy. What chemical and when to do it.

·
Premium Member
29,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never tried that but I’ve killed gums as big as 8” diameter by using the “hack and squirt” method. Just put four cuts instead of two and used a 50/50 mix of triclopyr/water.
I have successfully used hack and squirt also. The benefit I see to basal spraying - especially with honey locust - is you dont have to get that close to them. I would bleed to death if I was using hack n squirt on honey locust

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I have successfully used hack and squirt also. The benefit I see to basal spraying - especially with honey locust - is you dont have to get that close to them. I would bleed to death if I was using hack n squirt on honey locust
Machete , good one , not Chinamart special , either . Locust is very hard wood . Projects ? 🤔

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
Hack and squirt is a young man’s job. I definitely prefer a machete over a hatchet. I had a professor in college that was studying bugs in the rainforest and I asked him to ask what brand his guides used down there. He brought me back an 18” tramontina and gave it to me in lab.
Correction for my previous post, gly is not recommended for basal. 20% solution of Triclopyr (Garlon 4) in diesel should do it. Wet the bottom 12-18”. I’d go 24 on big stuff.

·
Registered
My mind
110 Posts
I have personally used this method alot. Crossbow or remedy herbicide mixed with diesel will kill ANY tree, ANY size. Thick barked trees need treated higher up and heavier. Not to the point of runoff. This method is effective year round except within 24 hours before or after rain or snow. I have found this to be 100% effective control. Hack and squirt I find less than 100% control. Still acceptable and use way less chemical, cover large areas quicker but gets to be tiresome.

Some of the chemicals mentioned earlier in thread are NOT effective with basal spraying. I second the statement to read the label. Many properly formulated Triclopyr based herbicides are recommended with basal spraying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.