Treated 2x4's vs 5/4 Decking

Discussion in 'Home, Garden, and Yard' started by SwampCat, Jul 11, 2017.

1. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

Id throw in some more joists. 40 inches would be too far for 2x6's. Some guys put joist on 24 inch centers. I never go more than 16. Yes, the good stuff got outlawed on the treated material. Also if you have a Lowes around I would go there. They have the top choice lumber that has all 4 edges (most of the time) its alot bette

N8HARNER likes this.
  2. Punkinseed

Punkinseed Well-Known Member

Ive had same problems as you swampcat. Had to replace the top of my boatdock after 5 years. my mom has an elevated deck that prolly lasted 8 years before we started stepping through it

3. whetstone

whetstone Well-Known Member

If you go to replace it again I wouldn't go back with the same stuff. Look at ordering some redwood or cedar decking. The price is a little higher, but not when you have to replace it every few years. If I was building a new deck today I would look long and hard at the new composite stuff. Once again, it's higher, but it will outlast us.

4. pearlsnaps

pearlsnaps Well-Known Member

There is one place in pine bluff that still treats wood with Mineral spirit and a copper naptha blend. They stay pretty dang busy. Not sure who the suppliers are that sell their product though.
    Don't think it was ever outlawed, just a lot cheaper for all these lumber yards to use pressure and water. Plus you have to buy wood sooner. Win win situation.
    Hoover treated wood in Pine Bluff is the only place I know of I the state that does the chemical treatment.

5. thompson

thompson Well-Known Member

My old stuff which was 2x6 treated lasted since 1991 till last year. Went back with same but the newer treatment lumber....we will see. The 5/4...im not sold on. My shop porch did not do well with it. Joist at 24 inches. I have a 22x35 or so deck. Time will tell. I did cover most with a tin roof this go round except where my fire pit sets. 10x10.

6. tmeredith

tmeredith Platinum Member Redneck Slum Lord

The arsenic copper based solution was banned.

7. thompson

thompson Well-Known Member

That was the good stuff. Im not sure pina based is even used now.

8. pearlsnaps

pearlsnaps Well-Known Member

Well they still use a copper naptha blend to treat wood at Hoover. Guess they took out the arsenic.

9. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member<br>2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

I don't think it's as much about the treatment as it is about the timber quality. I used 2x4 wolmanized when I built a 20x12 back porch on my house 35 years ago, and haven't replaced a stick...the nails sometimes back out, but no rot, no breakage! The quick growth timber is just not as tough as old growth. The key here may be to build the under story closer together so the boards don't flex as bad.

Jim_1978 likes this.
  10. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member

Haha - I had never even given any thought to the boards flexing until I posted this. Maybe I dont weigh enough. The boards rotting out are my problem. I dont even notice any flex. In fact, I went out and tried to measure the flex with me, standing on the middle of the span of the 2x6 - the boards flexed from .015 to .095 inches - less than 1/10". Measured with a digital caliper. Except for one of the rotten boards about to break through - it flexed .125" - 1/8". I weigh 200 lbs. I am not adding a bunch more 2x12" treated runners to prevent 1/20" of deflection. That would be a job on a 20' x 36' deck. :D

11. John Stiles

It's not the one time flex that effects the individual boards, it's the repeated traffic, running walking jumping falling down etc etc. that brings the wear and tear. I once read that Calif. wont allow a dog to trot across the Golden Gate bridge...they say the steady trot of a dog over and over would bring the whole bridge into chaos and it would fail! :)))

12. SwampCat

I can feel it more when my dog trots across my deck or even the floor of my house than I can a person. Back in WWII, they would have marching armys break the cadence when they crossed bridges so as not to break them down. I never thought about it until Whetstone mentioned it about the sun doing the damage. My 20x20 section covered with the upper deck made from purlins that lets the water through - has never had a board replaced since I surfaced it in 2005. It stays wetter than the rest of the deck because the sun doesnt hit it. It is that part of the deck that receives direct sunlight that rots.

I have a 10x36 covered front porch that has stringers 30" apart. It has 5/4 decking and you can feel it flex a little. Never replace a board in it. I also have two covered porches 10x37' on 20" stringers with 5/4 and they dont flex at all. I have a little over 1800 sq ft of decking and those boards in the direct sunlight are the only ones I have ever had to replace.

13. John Stiles

Those are the ones that will most benefit from any "oil" treartment as they will not dry rot as quickly. clear or light colored wood stains are probably gonna be your best bet. When I lived on the coast they had a clear gray or green stain everyone used to prevent wood rot. The new treatments are bland compared to the original ones. I got a splinter in my thumb that shot 2 red streaks up my arm in just one day...it was so deep, I couldn't get it out. They put me in the VA with blood poison, and I finally told them to cut my thumb open and get it out, I didn't have time to waste laying in a hospital bed! That was about 30 years ago. I think they called it "wolmanized."

14. John Stiles

We used to use creosote on our fence posts or diesel and burnt motor oil, but those stink. Not a good thing for a porch. LOL!

15. Buck-Ridge

Buck-Ridge Well-Known Member

I believe they banned the arsenic in the old treatment . The arsenic hangs around the environment and ends up as a constant toxin in water.

16. live2hunt

live2hunt Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried Behr Deckover or something like it? I will be building a 45'x12' desk in the near future. I like the thought of the composite material but don't want to spend the extra $$. This stuff seems like it should work well. Covering the entire board would be an issue though.

17. SwampCat

I thought about that, as well. I didn't see any way to cover the sides of the boards already on the deck.

18. quackandmild

quackandmild Well-Known Member

We used this stuff before on our front and back porch of our old house. The front porch was uncovered and didn't last nearly as long as the covered back porch. It's extremely thick but does a decent job of filling in any small cracks with just one coat.

19. N8HARNER

N8HARNER Well-Known Member

X2. This guy knows his stuff about this.

If you go with cedar, you definitely need your runners closer.

Again, your runners are too far apart.

I will not build a deck on more than 16" on center.

John Stiles likes this.
  20. SwampCat

I am not going with cedar - never would consider that. I guess I don't get it. My boards are not flexing enough to even notice. I have had the deck for 13 years and not one person who has walked across it ever mentioned any flex. I have had 30 people on the deck at one time. I am on it every day - as is my wife. If it was a problem, believe me, my wife would have said something.;)

So, would additional runners stop the deterioration of the boards or are they just going to stop the 1/20" flex in some of the deck boards?