Traxxas - help needed

Discussion in 'Campfire' started by stealthycat, Dec 25, 2010.

1. stealthycat

stealthycat Elite Member<br>2015-16 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

I bought my son a lightly used Traxxas Ruslter VXL. We ran it ... maybe 15 minutes and the battery got zapped.

Its got a Venom 3600 7.2 NiMH battery and a prolux max power charger that also has a Team Orion Avionics charger that gives me some adjustments on settings.

I cannot get this battery to charge though .... maybe its the connections from the charger to the converter to the Traxxas adapter that's weak?

Bad battery?

Anybody got one of these bad boys and can help me get it running fast and strong?

THANKS ... oh, I mean, its for my 9 year old, not me :)

2. coonnutz

coonnutz Well-Known Member

With those nickel metal hydride batteries, for optimal charging they need ran completely dead then charged for 4 to 6 hrs.

3. Carr.45

Carr.45 Well-Known Member

do you have a volt meter and an ampmeter? you can do a load check on it to see if it has a bad cell.

4. stealthycat

I don't have a multimeter ..... need to take it to a hobby town and see if they can show me what I'm doing wrong ?

5. bogie

bogie Well-Known Member

Well you dont have to charge for 4-6 hours. We used to race Radio Control hardcore up in paragould. We all used NiMh batteries, and the quick chargers. Are you sure the battery isnt getting charged and that the Speedcontrol isnt fried?

If it is the speed control, those are in ample supply and easily changed out wihout spending tons of money on them.

Does the batter get warm at all when you try to charge? The charger itself just may not be working.

Also...ten to fifteen minutes run time is about all you can count on with a hobby grade radio control set up. When we were racing, i ran two classes, pro mod, and pure stock and only averaged 10min runtime on the stock setup. A 3600mah battery is a great size battery and getting fifteen minutes of run time is good.

6. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

A "cycle" charger charges then discharges the battery to give it memory. The quick chargers are great, but you need to let the batteries cool a bit or the charger may kick off. It's best to have two or three battery packs...that way your running one, charging one and letting one cool off.

7. usertw24

usertw24 Well-Known Member

hey i have a traxxas t-max 2.5 and acc plus a new gal of fuel ill sell for $150

sorry not trying to hijack

8. stealthycat

I think that 7.2 NiMH battery is bad

I went and bought a Lipo 11.1 and charged it up ... good gawd !!!

9. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

HAHAHA...better be careful with the lipos, you can kill them by running them totally dead.....they also can catch fire under certain conditions. Study them and be careful.:up: