trap prep for dog proof traps

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by Midnight Rider, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider Well-Known Member

Are you guys dying and waxing or just dying? Tell me your trap prep method for your dog proof traps.

2. Red Oak

Red Oak Well-Known Member

Personally i am not doing anything to mine. I just bought another dozen of the duke style and put them out straight from the box and catching coon with them now. I also have a couple of dozen of the lil griz's and i dyed them, cannot tell the difference from the dyed ones and the ones that are not.
    Looking for some used MB750 if anyone has any for sale.

3. Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider Well-Known Member

What is your method of setting these traps, are you bedding them or just sticking them in the ground on a stake?

4. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    I painted my Grizzs' white and stick the stake in the ground and turn. Cant get no easier catchin coons.

5. Red Oak

Red Oak Well-Known Member

You can randomly stick them into the ground around a trough or feeder, i will pour some salom oil on them. Make sure you tie them off good.

6. fathead77

fathead77 Well-Known Member

I always bed my traps in front of a dirthole set. THe only time i just set them down is in the edge of the water. I have never dyed my traps or waxed them, but an old trapper told me to wax them it would make them faster and not as likely to freeze up.

7. belliott

belliott Well-Known Member

I take mine out of the box and throw them on the ground. If I'm doing some serious trapping, I'll set them in the ground.

Most the coons I catch, I catch around deer feeders for friends. Most of the time I screw a ring to a tree and attach the trap. I've got some traps with large hoops on the chain, I just lift the feeder legs and slide the hoop under to hold the trap.

Dogproof traps are pretty hard to set wrong.