Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Member-2018 Spring Team Turkey Contest Winner
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 25 horse yesterday, the shaft measures 18" I'm being told its an in betweener, or a short.
All the boats I've looked the transom measures either 15 or 20, which transom do I go with?

Thanks

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will that plate hinder the motor from being raised (tilted) all the way up in case of a log or putting the transom saver on?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
my war eagle is a 17", and both mercury and Suzuki used a 1 in block under it, so not sure what kind of motor or boat your measuring

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guess I'm stupid, I still don't see how lowering the motor below the top of transom is going to make it easier to raise when the front of the cowling looks like its gonna hit the transom. Plus it looks like the tiller would be rubbing the transom as well. Idk this stuff I'm just asking and trying to learn. I could see it working for a short transom boat and raising the motor up to match, but I don't see how lowering the motor past the transom will help

Thanks again
I really appreciate it

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mad duck it's a 90 model Johnson, the boats I've been looking at are weldbilts, aluma crafts, and aluma welds

·
Registered
365 Posts
It doesn't lower it. It sets it back behind the transom 4-6" if anything it'll be an inch or more above the transom.

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O ok thanks. I would like pw tilt/trim but $ is tight, so I won't be able to go that route at least for now. Do they make just a bracket/ plate that will do the same thing or will I have to get 1 fabricated ?

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
O ok thanks. I would like pw tilt/trim but $ is tight, so I won't be able to go that route at least for now. Do they make just a bracket/ plate that will do the same thing or will I have to get 1 fabricated ?
Weldbuilt can build you a transom any height you want.

I'd just buy a used short transom and put a piece of wood under it if I was that worried. Or, buy a long transom... you'll be wanting to swap that Johnson out soon enough anyhow. :biggrin:

·
Registered
365 Posts
The board is the cheapest way for sure. There's a mini jacket for $99 that is just a plate that you bolt to transom.

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why would I sell it? It runs perfect. I'm not running the metro boat race lol. And, it's all I could afford that had the features I wanted ie: electric start, and a thru hub prop. The skeg is in good shape, the cavitation plate is all there. I know they don't get the fuel economy of a merc but po' boy gotta do what a po' boys gotta do! Lol

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
where did you hold the tape? Cav plate to inside of clamps is what you need to do. Sounds like you measured a short shaft all the way down to the skeg or possibly prop shaft.

·
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It's 18" I was told a motor with this length of shaft was designed for sailboats originally. I can post a pic sorry.
If I could afford a new boat that would be great. Long story but I ended up not buying the 1 I had originally picked out

Tell me where I should measure. I can text a pic but can't post 1

I measured from the transom mounting bracket (clamps) to the cavitation plate it was 18 inches

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I would block it up on a short transom, that's me personally

If you bought a tall transom you could have a welder cut it down to fit but would be hard to resale

Text a pic if u want ill post it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts