Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out this morning(dogs first ever trip to the woods)and she put her nose to the ground for a little bit,but i know she she doesnt know what is expected of her and that will come with time.The thing that discouraged me was i shot a squirrel that i treed and she wanted nothing to do with it. I have caught squirrels in a live trap preparing for this season,and she acts like she wants to get in there with it,so i couldnt believe she wouldnt pay any attention to the one i shot.Has anyone ever had this problem?Did you just keep going hunting ,or count your losses and get rid of it ,or am i expecting too much? need help!:banghead:

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I think your expecting way too much. If it's the first time your pup has been in the woods you should be proud your dog didn't run off when you shot the squirrel. It's just like the first day of school for a 5 years old child. Just keep puttin them in the woods and it will come to them. When your pup finally gets comfortable being in the woods you will see some improvement. Just take baby steps, don't expect your pup to know what to do right on the start. Time will tell:up:

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Take your dog to the woods as much as possible. After your had her to the woods at least 30 times then you can start to expect results. It will probably happen sooner than that but just don't get discuraged if it don't. I always praise my dogs when they do things that I like and kind of ignore them when they are guffin off when they are pups. It's a slow process to make a finished squirrel dog, but it can be a lot of fun if you take it in stride. Just have fun with your dog when you go out hunting and if she shows interest in scents or the sight of game, thats just iceing on the cake. What kind of dog is she?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I was going to take my new pup out sometime soon but not now. The little guy ran in front of my truck and I broke its back leg in two places. I hope he recovers okay. I know he will always have a bum leg but he's tough. This happened Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
924 Posts
take some time and search the site....I have responded to several people on here about questions they have had. not being rude or anything, its just a bunch and a lot of typing. ive had at least one trained for the last 14 years, more like 3 or 4 most of the time. but do some searching on here and if you hav emore questions just feel free to ask.

and good luck, it does take time and committment!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I went out this morning(dogs first ever trip to the woods)and she put her nose to the ground for a little bit,but i know she she doesnt know what is expected of her and that will come with time.The thing that discouraged me was i shot a squirrel that i treed and she wanted nothing to do with it. I have caught squirrels in a live trap preparing for this season,and she acts like she wants to get in there with it,so i couldnt believe she wouldnt pay any attention to the one i shot.Has anyone ever had this problem?Did you just keep going hunting ,or count your losses and get rid of it ,or am i expecting too much? need help!:banghead:
i have that problem

·
Registered
203 Posts
You didn't say how old your pup is? I agree with every one else, just keep your pup in the woods and exposed to game. If she is paying attention to caged squirrels then I would stop with them and just keep her in the woods, you can quickly over do the caged game. Another little piece of advice, don't shoot any squirrels in front of your dog that the dog didn't locate and/or tree! I ruined a potentially good dog by doing that and I have never forgiven myself, scarry thing is that it only took one time and the damage was done. I doubt that you effected your dog by doing it but it IS a possability if you keep doing it!!
Just hang in there and keep taking your pup to the woods and when your pup is ready it will start treeing the game. Something just has to click within each and every dog before it will start to hunt out and tree, just some do it quicker than others.
Hang in there!!!:wink:

Rachel

·
Registered
623 Posts
squirrel hunting with dogs is one of the most rewarding and challenging things you will ever do. no dog is a born grand squirrel champion. young dogs will nose around and may even be a little nervous in the woods until they get used to it. some take to it faster than others, but all of them have to be took to the woods. I agree with ramill, don't shoot out squirrels the dogs didn't tree. i did that and ruined one of mine. if you are wanting a squirrel dog to kill more squirrels, you are in it for the wrong reason. squirrel dogs will severely limit your ability to kill squirrels until they are finished dogs. and even then, you will probably walk farther and spend more time in the woods.

I love to hunt with dogs, but it ain't all peaches and cream. even after your pup starts to tree and do a good job of it, there will be days when she will mess up. I don't care whose dog it is, they will make a mistake every now and then. i have seen a time that i would hunt all day Saturday and Sunday and never kill a squirrel. one year, before my dogs really started to make finished hounds, i killed 5 squirrels...all year, but my dogs treed every one of them and i couldn't have been more proud. things have changed since then, but it sure wasn't good for my hounds-man ego. i ain't trying to discourage you, that's just my own personal experience with young dogs.

good luck!!!:biggrin:

luke:up:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Young dogs are kind of like kids. Som days they do exactly what you want them to and other days you wish they were someone elses. On opening Saturday my little dog (11 months old) treed a squirrel that I know I would have never found. I thought we had really made progress. Last Thursday we went out again. We came upon a squirrel that was barking and jumping from limb to limb and making a lot of comotion. She never did see it, so I didn't shoot it. The first time in the woods is pretty intimidating for a new dog with all the different sounds, smells and sights. Just give it time for your dog to get used to it all. Also, is this the first time you had shot over your dog? She might have been a little freaked out about that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.