Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious how many of you guys that rabbit hunt have dogs that you can
get back by calling in. I have 2 but when the tail gate drops you aren't getting them back until there ready or you wade in and catch them and
lead them back out with a lead. How do you control your beagles. I know some use shock collars but how do you actually train the dog to come out
or hunt the woods that you want them to?
The dogs that I have are a little over 2 years.

I don't hunt in places where they can get on others property I just want them to be a little more manageable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I run mine with e-collars,when I call them and one wants to be stubborn I just give them a little bump and that is all it takes.Most of the time all I have to do is blow a whistle or whistle with my mouth.I trained my with a whistle when I feed them.As antler 3 said Run them with an older trained dog or two that comes back.......

·
Administrator
40,899 Posts
I use an e collar.

Its real good for cleanin' their ears out. :wink:

Mine has a tone button on it and when I get ready to call them I tone em first and give em a few minutes to respond.

Thats enough for most of em but every now and then you have to give em a little bump to get their attention.

Collars arent cheap but theyre a good investment imo.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I've been wanting to avoid the E collar due to the extra money that I am not sure that I want to spend.
Which brand of the E collar is the best for the buck?

·
Administrator
40,899 Posts
Ive had beagles in the past (before I got a shock collar) and they acted pretty much the same way yours do.

When I got ready to catch em to go home Id just have to wade in and cut em off.

The only other thing I might suggest is training them to come in the yard with a long leash but thats gonna take alot of time and since beagles seem to hard headed sometimes it might not work at all once theyre in the field.

I know what you mean about not wanting to spend the money.

Ive got a Tritronics exp and I really like it but it wasnt cheap. It comes with the transmitter and one collar and you can add up to 5 more and use the same transmitter.

They are around $319 plus $130 for each additional collar.

But they make an expandable that will only go up to 3 dogs and I think you can buy that one for around $250.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts