Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I had my first traffic stop/encounter with a LEO since getting my carry permit. Me, the wife, and my 20 year old daughter had been out furniture shopping. Just about a quarter of a mile from home there is a state highway intersection. As we approached I saw the blues and figured it was someone getting a ticket. We were speculating about what was going on when I realized there were 4 cars and multiple officers at the intersection. As I stopped an officer approached, introduced himself and said they were checking for license, registration, and insurance. I made some wise crack that I wasn’t sure if I had any of those things, pulled out my wallet and went to digging. About that time I realized my daughter, in her attempt to help me, was opening the glove box and was fixing to have a hand full of my truck gun. I quickly & firmly told her to stop moving and finished the sentence to the officer with “I have a carry permit and she is just about to put her hands all over *one* of my guns to get the registration”. He just chuckled and said no problem; you’ve done what you’re supposed to. I told him I was gonna move the pistol to the dash so she could dig for paper work. “No problem” he says. He took a quick look at the requested documents (didn’t even check my CC permit) and wished me a safe journey.

I told my daughter not to be so fast to help me out next time. I was very pleased with the demeanor of the officer and his response to me being armed.

· Registered
1,401 Posts
Sounds like a good experience. Years ago before we had cc permits I ran upon a roadblock. Had an unloaded. 45 laying in the seat. The trooper asked for license registration etc. Never saying a word about the gun. He ran my license came back to my truck as he was handing me my license he asked if the pistol was loaded. I said no sir and he asked if I minded if he checked. Of course I said ok and handed it to him. He checked it handed it back and said thanks have a nice evening. Its nice to be treated fairly and this gut was very professional and courteous. Since I've had my permit I've only been stopped once. I told the officer I had a permit and a gun in the truck. He thanked.me for telling him and never asked to see it or my permit. Again very courteous.

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Last fall I stopped on I-530 to give first aid to a single car accident victim. When the Trooper arrived I told him as soon as possible that I was armed and asked if he wanted to see my permit. He said, "No, you're fine." I then asked if he needed me any longer since rescue was there and he asked if I was a witness. I wasn't so he just said I could go and thanked me for stopping.

· Premium Member
11,478 Posts
Honestly, I think the better cops are relieved to discover they're in the presence of a CCL holder. That means you have already been vetted, have passed background checks, are are most likely a law-abiding citizen. No need to worry about the folks that jumped through the hoops to be legal...

· Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honestly, I think the better cops are relieved to discover they're in the presence of a CCL holder. That means you have already been vetted, have passed background checks, are are most likely a law-abiding citizen. No need to worry about the folks that jumped through the hoops to be legal...
I work with a guy that's a constable, a reserve deputy, Barney Fife, and every small town cop you hated when you were a kid. He is vehemently opposed to anyone but an officer carrying. I posed this same thought to him. Why fear a verified, fingerprinted, law abiding citizen? You know right up front they're gonna come back clean without wasting time running licenses. I'll carry from the parking lot to his work area and secure my pistol inside the building (no guns allowed inside the job) just to torture him.

· Registered
7,196 Posts
The majority of the LEO's I know have no problem whatsoever with folks that get their CCL. Heck we encourage it and give the classes. Just don't be an idiot and all will be well. For some reason I attract folks that want to show me their gun on traffic stops, PLEASE DON'T DO THAT, just tell me and if I want to see it I'll ask. Oh, and if your gonna get out and drink, leave the gun at the house. About the quickest way I know to lose a CCL.

· Registered
376 Posts
I've been stopped once for speeding and just handed him my card with my dl and he never said nothin bout it, just wrote me my warning. Also been through 2 state trooper sobriety check points and they never said anything about it. But I did my best to make him feel safe- lights on, hands on wheel, no fidgeting around while he was behind me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.