Tractor Rear Blade for Road Upkeep?

Discussion in 'Vehicles, Boats, Campers, & ATVs' started by SwampCat, Jan 15, 2018.

1. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

F38D0143-831A-4AC1-B754-0D05D97B6B1E.png could you actually build a ditched and crowned trail with a heavy duty, hydraulic, rear blade like the one pictured? Trails Mainly used for ATV and tractor travel. My trails are wearing and becoming the low spots - holding water. No rocks on my ground

2. JasonS

JasonS Well-Known Member

I've never had much luck using a blade like that. 3point lift on my small tractors doesn't seem to have a smooth up and down movement enough to do a lot of good. I bought one of these and love it
    http://www.roadboss.org/how-it-works/

3. SwampCat

I have used a land plane and they work great for smoothing and leveling - probably better than a box blade - but they cut the crown of a road and I dont know how you can ditch with one. Water is my problem - I have to get it off the trail somehow.

4. Dave57

Dave57 Well-Known Member

I use a box blade, but you really have to work at it.

5. SwampCat

I have the use of a box blade and used one for smoothing a road. Can you ditch and crown with your box?

6. Dave57

Dave57 Well-Known Member

Yes, I do both. My 3 point has manual adjust arms on both sides. Can get a real radical tilt. I prefer pulling a ditch with it over the straight blade.

7. No-till Boss

No-till Boss Well-Known Member

I have 2 larger land pride blades like those, I have no complaints about that brand.

They will crown or ditch, the better operator the better the job. I can’t crown very well with one, but a guy who works for me is a artist with one.

8. JasonS

JasonS Well-Known Member

Yes i can by adjusting the level on the lower control arm. Takes quite a bit of off and on the tractor to do it though

9. fullcredit

fullcredit Super Moderator Staff Member

I recently bought this one at an auction. Swivels and tilts. Pleased with it so far with just a little use. Drug out a ditch and graded the road with it.
    [​IMG]

10. Put a top & tilt kit on your 3 point hitch, and/or use the hydraulic rear blade. Absolutely will cut a ditch. Have worked on a few of them at work and the owners use them for that kind of thing. The bigger one will tilt, slide side to side, all sorts of stuff. Add a hydraulic tilt link to the 3 point hitch and you'll be able to grade the side of a cliff if you want to. Only down side is that your tractor will need enough rear remotes to run everything.