Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just bought a new to me 09' Tundra 4x4. I'm thinking about doing a few things to it and was wondering if any of you have any experience with them. First thing I want to do is install a GF performance chip, they claim significant fuel mileage increase and a boost in horsepower, I also want to put about 4"s of lift to fit my 20" wheels and tires. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :up:

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
I drive a tundra, and it has 101,000 K on it, no problems what so ever. The LAST thing I would want from my Tundra is more power......

·
Registered
34 Posts
More American made than any GM product or ford
Your not kidding. I was looking for a new car for the wife a couple years ago and wanted to stay "American". I started getting upset that all the window stickers had them made/assemble in Canada/Mexico/other places (at least for the types we were interested in). The percentage of parts from here was even poor. I started reading up on "most American vehicle" and was surprised to find Toyota won in a lot of categories. We both drive Toyota's now made in Texas. Figured I'd support the average joe before a CEO.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
More American made than any GM product or ford
Correct in part.

Where is Toyota based? Hint: It's not in the USA. Meaning it's profits (the money that's left over after paying the bills) go to where the company is based, doesn't stay in the US. Not that anyone but people like me cares anymore.

That being said, there is only one toyota I've been impressed with and it was a lightly lifted (like 2") Tundra 5.7 that had a blower kit on it. Surprised me. I was driving my Lightning and this guy blew past me. Caught up with it and when he got on it again, I could hear his supercharger over mine. I still ran away from it (obviously...the Lightning is lighter and is a true performance oriented truck as opposed to a big heavy extended cab 4x4)...but impressed I was with it. That was the only one.

Funny thing...I don't have any timing belts on any of the american V8's I own? Friend of mine owns a '03 Tundra V8 (4.7 I think...turd)...just spent $1000 almost on replacing the timing belt and water pump as part of the normal 100,000 mile service. Ouch.

They ain't bad trucks...I just like my Ford, and will continue to drive them until it's no longer cost conscious to start repairing them. Having to spend $1000 on a timing belt every so often would cut into that "no longer feasible to repair" thing.

The 5.7 is chain driven camshafts, where the 4.7 is belt driven. Both have pros and cons. A tech at toyota mentioned to us when I had my coworkers truck in for belt replacement that if it had been a 5.7 that replacing the chains usually is much more involved...and if it busts, it takes out the entire engine, more or less. And also mentioned that the chains are designed to last about 120,000 to 150,000 miles before service is required. Wonder how much that costs?

Do the OHC Ford engines have a chain "service" requirement? I never saw any on my Lightning but that was an old school OHC engine (5.4). Either way, better keep the oil clean, and keep the RPM in check (RPM and dirty oil typically wreak havoc on timing chains, tensioners). Both of my current Fords...actually 2 of the 3 are short chains (OHV cam in block), and the other doesn't have a chain or belt. Gear-to-gear.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Correct in part.

Where is Toyota based? Hint: It's not in the USA. Meaning it's profits (the money that's left over after paying the bills) go to where the company is based, doesn't stay in the US. Not that anyone but people like me cares anymore.
That's one way to look at it. Consider how that "foreign" money is spent. With the domestic vehicles the majority of the parts are not American. The labor they are paying is high union wages if made in the U.S. or to foreigners if out of the U.S. The profits are also going to CEO's that more then likely took government bailouts. If you buy the Toyota you are buying an American made vehicle using a majority of American made parts built with American non-union labor. That seems more American to me than how most domestic vehicles are put together. I would not have a problem spending my money that way and a Tundra would be a strong contender for that reason if I was shopping for a new Truck.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I own 2 Tundra's my wife drives a TSS sport package 4x4 and I have one of the 6cyl Tundras and it has 104,000 miles on it and just brought it to the shop for the first time to get a good tune up. These machines a TOUGH! I will ALWAYS own a yota from now on. Used to be a GM man until our last one, it was in the shop 6 times before the warranty ran out, needless to sat I traded it off on our first Tundra! :D

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I drive a tundra, and it has 101,000 K on it, no problems what so ever. The LAST thing I would want from my Tundra is more power......
I'm not really worried about more power as much as I am better fuel mileage. I can live with 16mpg but 19 or 20 would be much better. The GF chip claims a min. of 10% increase in fuel mileage with a 100% satisfaction gaurantee. At $69 I think I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I'm not really worried about more power as much as I am better fuel mileage. I can live with 16mpg but 19 or 20 would be much better. The GF chip claims a min. of 10% increase in fuel mileage with a 100% satisfaction gaurantee. At $69 I think I will give it a shot.

I'm gonna have to check on that chip for mine.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm gonna have to check on that chip for mine.
I just found some more information on the GF chip and it's not sounding too good. Sounds like the folks who have tried it have had poor results and in some cases it's done damage to their engine and sensors. I think I'm out on the chip. I'll post up if I find something that is proven to be beneficial without causing any damage.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have a 2010 Tundra 4x4with a 3" body lift and 20" tires and IT DRINKS GAS LIKE NOTHING I HAVE EVER SEEN !!!!!........11.2 TO 12 mpg on the hwy......Hook up a 6x12 utility trailer with a 4 wheeler on it and LOOK OUT!!!.......8.2 TO 9mpg......301 MILES TO THE TANK!!!....AT HALF A TANK YOU "BEST" START THINKING ABOUT GETTING GAS......Fill it up completly and drive 40 miles and watch the needle going South.....This is my 5th Toyota and its has plenty of POWER but you CAN NOT keep gas in it.....I have 57,000 miles on mine right now.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I just found some more information on the GF chip and it's not sounding too good. Sounds like the folks who have tried it have had poor results and in some cases it's done damage to their engine and sensors. I think I'm out on the chip. I'll post up if I find something that is proven to be beneficial without causing any damage.

Yea, I just researched it a little on tundratalk. May steer clear of it...

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 2010 Tundra 4x4with a 3" body lift and 20" tires and IT DRINKS GAS LIKE NOTHING I HAVE EVER SEEN !!!!!........11.2 TO 12 mpg on the hwy......Hook up a 6x12 utility trailer with a 4 wheeler on it and LOOK OUT!!!.......8.2 TO 9mpg......301 MILES TO THE TANK!!!....AT HALF A TANK YOU "BEST" START THINKING ABOUT GETTING GAS......Fill it up completly and drive 40 miles and watch the needle going South.....This is my 5th Toyota and its has plenty of POWER but you CAN NOT keep gas in it.....I have 57,000 miles on mine right now.
I checked my fuel mileage this weekend and I got 15.8mpg driving two lane highways with quite a few hills and curves and I had my foot in it most of the time because I'm not used to that much power so I had to play a little.

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
I checked my fuel mileage this weekend and I got 15.8mpg driving two lane highways with quite a few hills and curves and I had my foot in it most of the time because I'm not used to that much power so I had to play a little.
That's is the same as mine 15.5 -15.8 and I farm out of mine.

I have two friends right now with new fords and both motors blowed in the 60,000 k, The ONLY people who get any service out of a Ford are the one's who baby them around because they know they're junk. Plus, you put 35's on a Ford and you're looking at 6-8mpg and it never had any power to start with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts