towing capacity... how much needed?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Cars' started by M1Tommy, Jan 2, 2011.

1. M1Tommy

M1Tommy Well-Known Member

I'm starting to look for a new vehicle. The heaviest thing I can see me puling is my dad's bass boat. Just what it weighs is a mystery to me though.
    It's a Hydra-Sport 175 with a Evenrude 115 Hp motor and Hydra-Sport branded single axle trailer. So far, I've struck out looking around on the 'net to find out what this boat weighs....
    Tows aren't long, 30-40 miles to/from area lakes, and on decent ramps too.

Anyways, about what towing capacity should I want?
    (other than, "as much as possible!")
    Advice/opinions are appreciated.

Tommy

2. HANDGUNNER

HANDGUNNER Well-Known Member

Just about any full size 1/2 ton p/u will pull that bass boat anywhere!!

Don't know what the towing cap. is on my 02 Z71 with tow pkg, but have pulled a 18ft heavy duty tandem trailer loaded with a little over 1300 board foot of 5 qtr oak flooring on it, and never knew it was back there, unless I looked in the mirror!!

3. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Well-Known Member

Towing cap. On most 1/2 ton trucks with v8 is gonna be 8 to 10k lbs. Most of the time trailer axels are rated at 8k lbs.per axel. My guess would be that boat weghs 4 to 6k lbs with trailer max. I would recomend any 1/2 ton with 4x4. If it has an extra trans cooler that would be a plus. The 4 wheel drive will help if ramp gets slick.

4. mmcginty19

mmcginty19 Well-Known Member

I pulled my 18' nitro with a 150 all over the state with a regular cab 2wd 4.8L v8 pickup. Never had a problem. I have also pulled a 24' party barge with a 115 with it. Only problem I had was pulling it out of the water but it did it. I would fully recommend 4wd. But the again a Toyota Tacoma will have enough towing capacity for that and never bat an eye. I've pulled a 1980 model 18' ski boat with a jeep wrangler too. It's all in your preference of vehicles and future stuff that you may end up towing.

5. M1Tommy

Thanks for the replies. I currently have a 2WD Ford F-150, 4.2L V-6 and manual. It pulls this boat OK.
    However I'm thinking to go to an SUV or crossover type vehicle. Their towing capacities are all over the chart.

Tommy

6. ArkArcher

ArkArcher Moderator Staff Member

I have a 4wd GMC Sierra 1/2 ton with the 4.8 V8 and I pulled a big heavy duty dual axel trailer with a 36 HP tractor (front end loader) and had a 5' bush hog on the trailer too so you should be fine with the bass boat. That load weighted over 9k.

I had a 2001 4runner with a 3.5l V6 in it and i pulled our 17' fiberglass ski boat with it and the boat had an 130HP I/O so you should be fine with a mid size SUV too.

7. Toyota Tundra! Best in its class for towing and you can get 0% financing for 60 months! I own 2 of them :up:

8. And by the way, one of them is a 6cyl, other one is the 8cyl. both pull very well!!!

9. M1Tommy

What kind of mileage did your Tundras get? They look like begger trucks than my F-150.
    I need low 20's... at least.

Tommy

10. dvido

dvido Member

cabot
    My boat is about that size (18ft DynaTrac bass boat with a mariner 135, single axle trailer) and I tow it fine with both my truck, 07 F150 with 4.6L (i don't even know its back there).

And my wife had both an 08 GMC Acadia and now a 06 Chevy Trailblazer and both do well, some of the hills around Heber Springs put a tad of a strain on the Trailblazer (4.2L I6) but the Acadia had a smaller engine (3.8 I think) and it actually pulled a little better. Both SUVs have the tow package.

11. M1Tommy

Thanks for the reply!
    Tommy

12. Carr.45

Carr.45 Well-Known Member

I have a 2011 Sierra 4x4 4.8L with Z85 towing package, it has a 7300lb towing capacity. The hull weight on your boat should be around 1300lbs+fuel(+/-6lbs/gal@ 26gal=160lbs) & batteries(3x60lbs=180lbs)+ approx 400lbs of motor. So your looking at around 2000-2200 in boat weight. The trailer probably weighs less than 1000lbs. 3200lbs of boat and trailer.

I have a 20' Javelin and my truck pulls it like its not there even when it is full of gear and fuel. I wish i had gotten the 5.3 though, they actually get better gas mileage than the 4.8's especially while towing, more power moving the same weight. I had an 05 crew cab chevy 4x4 and it got better mpg than my new one does.

13. M1Tommy

I apprec. the replies, but most folk here are driving bigger vehicles than I am interested in buying. I already own an F-150, and know that it will pull this boat easily.

What I am considering is a smaller SUV type vehicle, say a Jeep Patriot, etc, and wanted to get an idea of what towing capacity a bass boat as I described needs, for short pulls.

Tommy

14. For me it's not the rated towing limit.....it's can the truck stop the load without trailer brakes. If the trailer brakes go out you have to rely on the truck brakes....my old 1/2 ton GMC with a 5.7 could pull it but couldn't stop it.
    That is why I got a 3/4 for the brakes.
    I see where 1/2 ton tow ratings have gone up......personally I don't trust them....I like bigger brakes.
    But in your case a 1/2 ton will do it...you might be surprised with the tow ability of a V6.

15. Carr.45

Carr.45 Well-Known Member

Truck manufacturers have done alot to solve that problem, that is why you cannot put smaller than a 17" rim on an 05 or newer GM truck, it will rub the brake caliper. They have made the brake rotors larger, calipers with more than just one piston, and ceramic brakes, all from the factory.

16. Ozark hunter

Ozark hunter Well-Known Member

my 4x4 98 jimmy with a 262 has never let me down and i've pulled some weight with this thing. it pulled me up a monster gravel hill when the fuel pump failed in my full size 4x4

17. jsilver919

jsilver919 Well-Known Member

For the size range you are talking about if it were me i'd go with a jeep grand cherokee

18. M1Tommy

Thank you for that pertinent reply. However, I cannot afford to buy gas for a Grand Cherokee. I will be starting a new job soon, driving 49 miles each way, daily. That is the main reason I am seriously considering selling the F-150.

Tommy

19. 7 point

7 point Well-Known Member

Tommy is the F150 paid for? If it is I'd keep it and buy a car for the commute. Which is exactly what I'm planning on doing. The reason why is I ahve a 99 Silverado 4x4 and it does everything I need it to do. I could buy a new one but then I have to break it in worry about scratching etc. I dunno if I'd go with a smaller vehicle for towing simply for the stopping ability and stability. As a local truck driver I see folks all the time trying to pull/haul to much with a vehicle that simply is not made for that kinda work. The results can be devastating. Might wanna think on that aspect of it.

20. No-till Boss

No-till Boss Well-Known Member

I looking at a Toyota Tundra with a towing package and it is rated at 10,500lbs capacity.