Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,735 Posts
US Open Bowfishing Championship

SIL fishing it. Not sure i would want to be out all night long tonight.

“The U.S. Open Bowfishing Championship, the largest event of its kind in the fast-growing sport of bowfishing, is coming to Bass Pro Shops in Bossier City.

This year’s event will be held Saturday and will feature the largest competition and biggest prizes in the sport of bowfishing.

The championship purse includes more than $100,000 worth of prizes and giveaways.

According to the tournament website, competition will be held on waterways in East Texas along with Caddo Lake and Red River. More than 300 teams from across the country are expected to compete.

The first place team will receive $25,000 in cash. The winner of the biggest fish harvested wins $5,000. All-new prize categories have been added for big buffalo, big common and big grass carp. Each winner of those categories will receive a U.S. Open Limited Edition Oneida Osprey Bow.

Other prizes include bows, bowfishing gear and more.

The live weigh-in will be held Sunday from approximately 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. at Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World in Bossier City.

Bowfishing, which combines elements of fishing with archery to harvest rough fish species, is one of the fastest growing sports in the outdoor industry.

Unlike traditional game fishing, bowfishing uses specialized bows to target species including carp, buffalo and gar that plague lakes, rivers and streams around the country. Removing these undesirable species improves habitat conditions for native game fish.

Visitors to the event will see custom bowfishing boats on display from across the country along with vendor booths.

Attendees can also meet their favorite outdoor TV show hosts and enjoy music and other activities.

According to the event’s website, food trucks including Music to Your Mouth, Uncle Ray’s BBQ and Beaujax will be on hand.

Throughout the weekend customers can take advantage of great deals on the latest name-brand bowfishing gear.

To learn more visit www.basspro.com/usopen

·
Premium Member
29,735 Posts
I dont really like the tournament format. It is 20 biggest fish - alligator gar not included. Bow fishing, as a sport, is sold on the premise of removing quantities of rough fish. With this tournament, you wont even be shooting most of the gar or bowfin. You are looking for big fish only. Should be a total weight where everything from one pound gar to 60 lb grass carp are included.

·
Premium Member
29,735 Posts
The last one I fished was quality and big fish, but that’s been over 15 plus years. I didn’t even know anyone else that blowfished back then. The light set ups have came so far too.
My SIL runs a combo of high pressure sodiums and halogens. You can see fish in fairly muddy water - they show up as orange blobs in the muddy water. Takes a pretty good generator to run it all. Boat is 20’ long and 8’ wide. Three shooters comfortable - can shoot four in a pinch.

Water transportation Vehicle Boat Bass boat Tree

·
Premium Member
29,735 Posts
SIL ended up at 249 lbs big 20. Four lbs out of top ten. Had a fifty lb grass carp but couldnt find more big fish. Tournament big fish was 73 lb buffalo. 150 boats ended up fishing a storm filled night. He didnt say what total winning weight was.

·
Premium Member
29,735 Posts
Judging from the final talley, my SIL would have been about 35/40 at 249 lbs. When they weighed, they didnt have the numbers posted. He said about 150 boats. Looks like some of these guys found some big fish. Looks like you had to be on the grass carp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.