tough feet ?

Discussion in 'Huntin' Dogs' started by thelineman, Jan 10, 2011.

1. thelineman

thelineman Well-Known Member

Do you think the guy's out west have dogs with tougher feet than we have here? Or maybe up north?

2. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

Yes! I think that the dogs out west and the ones up north have tuffer feet they have alot more snow and ice to deal with. But I know a few northern coonhunters that dont hunt their dogs when there is snow on the ground either. I guess it just depends if you want to expose your dog to the harsh elements or not. But I can say I want be going until most of the snow is gone.

3. Razoo97

Razoo97 Well-Known Member

honestly never thought about it :confused: But I use to go hunt with an older feller, that could not walk all that good. So he only road hunted his dogs, and if them dogs didn't have the tuffest feet in the country, I don't know what did, I'm talking about 20 to 30 miles a night :doh:. I looked at their pads, tuff as leather.

4. thelineman

Thank's englishdawgs. You were the one this was directed to.I figure some of the guy's out west and up north have a lot of snow to deal with. So if they ran only on fresh snow that would probalby not be very often. Do the guys you know breed for tough feet, or do the ones they have get tough feet as they grow. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

5. englishdawgs

englishdawgs Well-Known Member

I kind of figured it was directed towards me. I have honestly never heard of breeding for tough feet. I do know that some bloodlines of hounds are breed to be more Gritty and tuffer than others. Especially the ones that hunt in the northern and western parts of the country. You will see certain bloodlines more dominate in certain areas. Now thats not saying that any breed or bloodline cant be made tough its all in how you hunt them. There is a big Bluetick man out west. Named Dale Cameron that has been breeding his line of bluedogs for years and I have been told that they are some of the toughest hounds alive. As Razoo97 stated the more you hunt a dog the tuffer his feet get. I have also done alot of road hunting back when I first started coonhunting still do some but not much and it makes a hound really tough. You can cover alot of ground in a night hunting that way. They will be slick and muscle toned if you hunt them that way much. I think dogs that are hunted in the mountains alot are tuffer than the ones that are hunted in creek bottoms. JMO.

6. thelineman

I think dogs that are hunted in the mountains alot are tuffer than the ones that are hunted in creek bottoms. JMO. big Bluetick man out west. Named Dale Cameron. breed to be more Gritty and tuffer than others. Yes sir I think so too. I want tough feet in all my dogs so it is a trait I look for in my breeding program also, maybe not the one on top, but close. thanks for the responce.