Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sitting here watching this show on the military channel. Now, I've seen it several times and I like the list.

But I got throw the BS flag on the M-14 coming in at #10!!!! Now by their criteria I see where they are coming from, but #10!??!!! Behind the 03-A3 and the STG44???!!!!????

I say a hell-to-the-no!!!!!

·
Administrator
81,503 Posts
I haven't seen it before, so it will be interesting. I would have figured the M14 and FAL would have been higher.

·
Administrator
81,503 Posts
Ahhhhhhh, I just put my brain in gear (I am working night shift and just got up)... AR and AK!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Areyh Nusbacher gets on my nerves.... He's on a lot of Military Channel shows and he just comes off as such a drama queen!!! Emphasis on queen.... and to be discussing weapons and munitions!!!!

Maybe I just take him all wrong, but he's a bit flitty.....

·
Super Moderator
8,353 Posts
I don't know what criteria they are using but mine is based on first hand experience while I was getting combat pay. The M-14 is #1. IMHO :thumb:

·
Registered
623 Posts
I agree about the M-14. i haven't got to mess with one much, but what little i have i like 'em. i still think that the AK is one of the best rifles ever made.....ideally the AK would be chambered in a .308 or .30-06:thumb:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would lean towards the AK myself. Less weight, reliable fairly accurate. I talked to a Vietnam LRRP who said they always fire. Even when hiding in a rice paddy.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't question the AK as the best overall battle rifle in the world. It simply speaks for itself in reliability and stopping power.

But to rank the M-14 in 10th place was way off the chart to me!!

This show's criteria placed length of service as one of the prime categories, along with numbers of production. That is what relugated it to 10th..... but it just don't seem right to me, even when weighing those categories!!! Frankly in one service or another (i.e Navy and Coast Guard) the M-14 has always been "in service" since its inception. Factor in that they are supplanting sqauds as "designated marksman" rifles as quickly as they can be deployed and it is clear that 10th is NOT the place to score this weapon.

Do I sound a bit smitten with the M-14??? Well, I guess I am.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is not as great as the M-1A from Springfield, but I've had one for about ten years now and it has never malfunctioned with anything I have put through it. I don't care for the finish that was put on this one, but the price is better than I have seen in the last five or six years, so it would be a decent buy if someone wanted an M-14/M-1A and couldn't (like me) drop $1500+ for one.....
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=95459034

1 - 15 of 15 Posts