Too early to ride him?

Discussion in 'Ask the Vet' started by mossyhorn, Jan 1, 2011.

1. mossyhorn

mossyhorn Well-Known Member

One of my geldings is nine and got a really bad cut really low on his leg on the ball of his ankle. This was almost 6 months ago. The vet came out that night and the next day and several times after that and the gash is almost gone except a tiny bit of scap or maybe proud flesh. The gash was almost to the bone but didnt cut and tendons or ligiments. He had real bad proud flesh at first and almost didnt make it...it was that bad. Fast foward 6 months....he's bucking running and back to himself except that he doesnt like you to mess with that leg as much. The ankle joint is still bigger than the other but there isnt any swelling, im thinking its scare tissue. Well today I couldnt take it any longer and I threw a holter on him and rode him for about 5 mins around the pasture. He didnt seem to mind, no limping, studdering or bucking.....but he had ALOT of energy. Is it a good idea to starting riding him alittle here and there and take things slow or should i wait till theres no sign of the wound. I dont think the ankle is going to get any smaller. I figure it's about 98% healed.

I dont know how much experience with horses but any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ben

2. truck24hr

truck24hr Super Member<br>2014-15 Bow Hunting Contest Winner

Alma
    No vet here, but on horses we have had, the scars are always there. We have one like you speak of and the joint has always been bigger and has never affected performance.

3. mossyhorn

its not a scar but like a scap or maybe alittle bit of proud flesh. Im glad to hear about yours where the joint stayed big but didnt lose anything....makes me feel better. He's the best horse I got, I could ride him to hell and back and he'd want more.

4. mossyhorn

P.S. he's got so many scars it isnt even funny. We've been in thick but always seem to get out......he's just got the will and spirt.

5. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Well-Known Member

Keep wonder dust on it till its gone it has caustic in it that eats up the proud flesh it will really make a difference it may always be there but it will be less of it. I keep that stuff in my saddle bag.

6. mossyhorn

yeah i bought a case of the stuff, for over the counter stuff it works great. The stuff the vet gave me really eats it up, i think its copper sulfate???

7. Nighthawk

Thats about all you can do then sounds like he is ready to roll but I would keep an eye on it thats a bad spot for a cut cause its alot of movement in that joint . Buddy of mine's horse took a year to heal couse the horse was so rowdy had to keep him stalled up but he did heal up.

8. jd huntn

jd huntn Well-Known Member

alma
    re

Got a palamino gelding i roped off of, that was gettin stupid in the box.....:biggrin:we was at a lil country ropin north of us(not an actual arena wires and cables etc..) any how the butt bar broke when he backed up to it:mad: he reeared up stepped backwards and cut the fire out of the back of his hock area.... He was off and limped for 6 months and i just rode em like it was not even there, takin it easy but still using em... He came out of it just fine, only issue i had was his reverse got a lil shakey on em :fit:

9. Mule man

Mule man Well-Known Member

I've used powdered lime on cuts before and they healed well and didn't seem to scar as bad as expected. I used to have quarter horses and was always having something sewed up. I have never had to sew up a mule : )

10. mossyhorn

I have hunted off of and rode my share of mules....they are alot more sure footed than horses and usually calmer. I got a buddy who only rides mules now. You cant beat the speed or the smoothness of a quater horses canter though:biggrin:

11. Nighthawk

If you get a good mule you got yourself a fine ride but if you get a spoiled of bad mule you got a hand full horses are easier for me to deal with I had a mule he didnt want do anything I did :shrug:

12. mossyhorn

yeah my buddy has a good way of with them....when he makes them do something they think its their idea, i think that is the trick.

13. Mule man

Mule man Well-Known Member

You have to be patient with a mule. I've read you shouldn't be allowed to own a mule till you are at least 50. You guys are probably too young : )

14. antler3

antler3 Well-Known Member

Best thing I have found to help a wound heal without much proud flesh is a plain ol' water hose. Spray the wound for about 15 minutes twice a day ...

15. mossyhorn

If im not mistaken....and i may be, water therpy on the cut (water hose) causes proud flesh to get worse in most cases.

16. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

I think if you have his hooves trimmed correctly, you shouldn't have a problem...I use some new stuff I can't remember the name right off hand, but it's really good....my gelding got a cut around the orbit of his left eye recently where he bumped a knot on a hackberry tree....it looked worse than I've ever seen.....gapped open and swelled badly. In one week I had the swelling down and the gap had closed. THere's barely a scar there now. I was worried he'd be blind in that eye, but he's like it never happened.

17. Paul Jenkins DVM

Paul Jenkins DVM Well-Known Member

Ben,

Sorry to be slow on my response. If he is sound and with as long as it has been, he should be fine to ride. You are probably right in that area of his ankle will always look larger due to the scar tissue. Good luck.

18. mossyhorn

No problem, i know you have a life like the rest of us. Thank you for the reassurance. I think he misses the long rides but he will have to wait awhile longer.

Thank you,

Ben

19. deertrax

deertrax Well-Known Member

benton
    You can put a horse in a round, padded enclosure and they would still find a way to cut or otherwise hurt themselves.... they are one of the more ignorant animals on the planet.

20. John Stiles

John Stiles Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner

I beg your pardon....horses are not ignorant.....they are just as smart as you teach them to be...almost like kids! Horse in that respect are just like your kids....they will have occasional accidents....skinned knees, elbows etc. But if that make horses ignorant then you and I are a cut below horses in ignorance!:wink: