Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I had a great stand of tomatoes when I went off on vacation in June.

When I got back 10 days later, all of them were severely blighted and I wound up losing them all.

It was also a bad year for blight on my apple & pear trees.

This year I went online & bought 10 different varieties of tomato seeds that were highly blight resistant.

They are all up and growing under the light and looking good.

I am also moving them to a new location.

Did anyone else have propblems last year with tomato disease and if so, what are you doing diffenetly this year?

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
The best gardener I know sprays his garden with bleach and water and permethrins as his do all bug and fungus chemicals. I have used daconil to stop tomatoes from going brown from the bottom up. The thing is. I'm only home half the time to take care of my garden. The good gardener piddles in his every day

·
Registered
122 Posts
I dust my plants for insects as needed through blooming. After fruit begins to form.....no poisons at all. When my tomato plants are "root set" and growing well I prune them away from the ground so no part of the plant except the trunk is within 10-12 inches of the ground. Keeping ground splatter off of the plant foliage helps. At first signs of blight on a plant I cut off the affected branches at the trunk and get them far away from my garden. If signs of blight return I pull it up and dispose of the whole plant.

·
Premium Member
13,753 Posts
I rotate where I plant my plants every year.. Also I plant my plants in rows at least 4 feet a part and the plants at least 3 feet a part in the rows.. The spacing gives the plants plenty of air circulation.. Another thing I do is place a metal can (I think their 3 lb coffee cans or the cans most restaurants get vegetables in) around my plants and water inside the can only.. That also seems to keep the cut worms and rabbits at bay when the plants are first planted..

·
Premium Member
13,753 Posts
Yeah I should have been a little clearer in my description.. Some folks call them plant collars..:up:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've had this problem the past few years, and from what i gather, the fungus is in the soil, and the blight is caused by too little air circulation, and soil splashing up on the lower leaves during heavy rain. I have had to use Daconil every year, but it only just keeps them alive, barely. I've heard of using copper sulfate but haven't tried it. My plan this year is to take extra care and prune the plants well, and I have about 30 big bags of leaves I saved over the winter to mulch with. I've been told mulch heavily to help prevent blight. Don't plant in the same place twice. Last year I had it on my potatoes and peppers too. Along with bermuda grass and squash bugs, blight has been the bane of my garden! I'm hoping this years' colder than normal temps will cut down on the fungus.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Last year I had a great stand of tomatoes when I went off on vacation in June.

When I got back 10 days later, all of them were severely blighted and I wound up losing them all.

It was also a bad year for blight on my apple & pear trees.

This year I went online & bought 10 different varieties of tomato seeds that were highly blight resistant.

They are all up and growing under the light and looking good.

I am also moving them to a new location.

Did anyone else have propblems last year with tomato disease and if so, what are you doing diffenetly this year?
Get some stuff called Doskinil (spelling) mix per instructions and spray. Also mix some Epsom salts and pour on them.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I rotate where I plant my plants every year.. Also I plant my plants in rows at least 4 feet a part and the plants at least 3 feet a part in the rows.. The spacing gives the plants plenty of air circulation.. Another thing I do is place a metal can (I think their 3 lb coffee cans or the cans most restaurants get vegetables in) around my plants and water inside the can only.. That also seems to keep the cut worms and rabbits at bay when the plants are first planted..
We do this as well and it helps greatly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts