Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I train for the 2022 and 2024 olympics I like to waterfowl espescially duck hunt as my R&R. I am planning on hunting Bayou Meto or another WMA land for waterfowl in the 2021-2022 season. I come from Colorado so never have hunted flooded timber. Wondering if someone could point me in the direction and give me tips and advice for the first Arkansas hunt. Thanks and I hope everyone had a good 2020-2021 season!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do I need a boat? can I rent a boat? planning on the first section of December. I use OnX but do I need a Garmin? How do I found a opening in timber in a Bayou? How do you scout flooded timber without flushing birds? Anything unique for flooded timber hunting I must be prepared for?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Do I need a boat? can I rent a boat? planning on the first section of December. I use OnX but do I need a Garmin? How do I found a opening in timber in a Bayou? How do you scout flooded timber without flushing birds? Anything unique for flooded timber hunting I must be prepared for?
Yes you can rent a boat, just show up early and talk to the guys with big rims on their trucks. They get in line extra early so they can loan their boats to new hunters. As for finding holes in the timber, it's pretty easy actually. Just walk towards any headlamps you see in the woods, most everyone is super friendly and would be glad to have an OOSER hunting with them. If you prefer to have your own spot you'll need to get down there the day before and cut yourself a big enough opening that the birds can set down in. Best of luck!

·
Registered
9,180 Posts
First.....you got to survive the boat race's to get to a hunting spot. Be sure to wear a bright orange life preserver, so there's a chance you won't get run over by the other boats, before you can swim back to land. Several bright flashlights, tied to your life preserver, are a must. If you get wet, & have to go back to the truck, you can always watch the fistfights, in the parking lot while you dry out. Believe nearly everything, will be "unique" if this is your first hunt on public flooded timber, specially if it's Bayou Meto.

·
Registered
18,610 Posts
I’m just hear for the comments. This should be epic. So far the comments are getting primed up. It kinda has a feel of a lamb about to be thrown in a pen full of wolves who haven’t been fed in a week. But right now the lamb is just circling the pen teasing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome to the duck hunting in AR! Have fun fitting in if you are a ooser. Believe me they will know at the ramp by the way you talk if you are or not. You are better off to go fish for crappie 50 foot from the dam at any lake than trying out duck hunting in AR at bayou meto! Make sure you take a case of shells with you and sky bust everything. If you don’t get there early follow the loudest duck call they will gladly let you hunt with them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts