Timney Trigger for 700 Rem

Discussion in 'Guns, Ammunition, and Reloading' started by SwampCat, Dec 15, 2012.

1. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I was thinking about gettin my future son in law a Timney trigger for his 700 Rem (he said he wanted one but had no idea what kind to get). I have read the reveiws on the Timney and they aall seem good - but some of reviewers said some minor inletting of the stock was required for the trigger but most said it was a drop in. Does anyone have any experience. I dont want something that requires stock work.

2. HotGuns

HotGuns Well-Known Member

I've installed quite a few Timney triggers. The most I have had to do to a stock was releive it so that nothing was pressed up against the trigger. This was accomplished by a few strokes of a file. No big deal really..about a two minute fix.

3. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I can live with that. thanks

4. 42769vette

42769vette Forum Sponsor<br>A&A Optics<br>www.aaoptics.com

The most inletting you will have to do is 30 seconds witha dremel, It won't be a big deal. Personally I'm not a big timney fan. I dont like the trigger shoe. I always use rifle basix.

5. LGustin

LGustin Well-Known Member

I have installed a few Timneys, a rifle basix, a Canjar and a Jewell. The Jewell is by far the best of the list but 3X the cost of a Timney. I dont have any time on the rifle basix yet. For the money I feel you get a good trigger with the Timney. You should not have any problems with the install but if you do, depending where you are located, I might be able to help.

6. dkhern

dkhern Well-Known Member

isnt 700 trigger adjustable?

7. poke_53

poke_53 Well-Known Member

Timney 510 is the way to go. Love em

8. Houston boy

Houston boy Well-Known Member

i have installed 2, the last i just called timmney directly and they answered some questions i had and then i ordered it over the phone, they will set it at the pull you want them to, mine would go down to 2lb but came set at 3lb that was ok for me anyway, i did have to do a good bit of relief inside the stock, but mine was an old modle 722 remington chambered in the .222 remington. while i had it out i floated the barrel anyway

9. wildgameassassin

wildgameassassin Well-Known Member

IMHO, With a little adjustment you can make a Remington trigger just as good as a Timmney. Buy a Jewell you won't be disappointed.

10. Delbert

Delbert Well-Known Member

Rem 700s are fine and IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING you can adjust them. If not stay to heck away from it. That is the problem is many people dont have a darn clue and them the rifle will fire while closing the bolt.

YOu gonna kill your friends if you do mess with it and are stupid.

11. 42769vette

42769vette Forum Sponsor<br>A&A Optics<br>www.aaoptics.com

They are, Ive never been able to get the new xmark triggers to be any count. The older triggers could be adjusted close to aftermarket trigger quality

12. huntsteven

huntsteven Well-Known Member

I put a Timney in my 5R and love it. With a trigger scale is breaks at 2lbs every time. When I tested the Xmark it would vary up to 6oz. It was just not consistent. My son has the same gun and his xmark is good to go. It breaks a hair under 3lbs. I think you'll like the Timney. As mentioned above the shoe is different, wider, but I like it better.

13. Ekspurt

Ekspurt Well-Known Member

Just remember if you have to remove any wood from the inletting of your stock to put some wood sealer on it before putting it back together.