Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright,

I am leaving out in a few more weeks to the sand box, and I want to have a nice little food plot for late bow season when I get home. If I plant in say mid August (can't go too much later), should I be ok? I am thinking throw and grow, and a biologic blend at Wal-Mart, so it's actually two food plots, but only a few yards from each other.

·
Member<br>'08 Deerhunting Contest Team Winner<br>'
606 Posts
We have always planted ours around the first or second week of september and never had any problems. We have always tried to plant before a rain, they really shoot up fast.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I've had good luck with the throw and grow.........especially as dry as it is , and will be for a while...........if you put the trhow and grow out where theere is still some grass on the ground, the moisture from the night/morning dew, will be enough to get it started up!!!

I usually plant mine around the week of Labor Day...............

Be Careful in the Sand box,

Keep yer eye on the horizon.........
Yer nose in the wind..........
and watch yer top knot..........

And thanks for you're Service Brother!!

·
Super Moderator
9,788 Posts
Put it off as late as you can. I planted a food plot a few years ago the 2nd week of August and it got scorched to death...

The later you wait, the less chance yours will get scorched...

Speakin of, stay cool over there in Iraq. Keep your head down, come back home, and shoot a deer over a nice, lush, green, food plot...

·
Registered
751 Posts
I usually plant mine the last week of August and it does very well. Be safe my brother and God be with you and all other service men and women fighting for this Country which is the best one on God's green Earth !!! SALUTE :flag: :flag:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
In my opinion, it is way to early to plant fall food plots. Unless we get an extraordinary amount of rain and you have soil that holds water very well, the plots will almost surely fail if planted now. The problem is that we will surely get some rain from time to time, afternoon thunder showers if nothing else. This will cause the seed to sprout. Very few seedlings will be able to survive the hot dry weather that is sure to follow. I don't plant my fall plots until mid September for this very reason. In my opinion, you should save your money and effort and not plant right now. Can you get a friend to plant for you in mid September?

May God be with you on your tour of duty. I join the others in saluting you. :flag: May He bring you home quickly and safely.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
We used to plant ours on Labor day weekend, but they started drying up. The past two years we pushed back till the end of September and have had much better results.

If you can disc up the ground and have it ready to plant before you leave, and then have someone plant it for you a few weeks later when rain is in the forecast, then fertilize it once, you should have a good spot when you get home

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks gents. I have about a one week period to plant in. It will be from about 19 Aug -27 Aug. I don't have the luxury of tilling it up, and then having someone else plant the plot for me. If the land was family owned, that could be the case, but my teacher from second grade owns it. I am thinking of taking my riding lawnmower out, and mowing a bit of it, and then tilling it up some. I have about 2 days, that I can dedicate to the prepping and planting of the food plot. I also have a few trees to clear out around the area to plant. I have full permission to do as I see fit with the land, but I just can't bring quests other than my two boys out to hunt and fish on the property. As it stands right now, I think I will mow, cut trees, till and lime in one day, and then the next plant and fertilize. Neither area is more than 1/4 of an acre, so I don't think I would be out much other than sweat and elbow grease. The good thing, is that the largest area is near the creek and retians moisture pretty good in August.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.