Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That time of year again.... I've gotten my hands on a used NEF 12 gauge (3inch). I am going to have the barrel cut down and have it threaded for remmington chokes. That way it could double as a squirrel gun. Most turkey guns on the market have 24inch barrels. Is there any downside to going shorter? Say 20-22inches? Also, has anyone had experience with camo-clad or similar products? I don't want to have to pull it off after the season or in a couple years. That being said, a full camo re-finish might be the best route. I don't want to spend too much on this project. I appreciate the feedback.

·
Premium Member<br>2009 Turkey Contest Winner<br>20
11,525 Posts
That time of year again.... I've gotten my hands on a used NEF 12 gauge (3inch). I am going to have the barrel cut down and have it threaded for remmington chokes. That way it could double as a squirrel gun. Most turkey guns on the market have 24inch barrels. Is there any downside to going shorter? Say 20-22inches? Also, has anyone had experience with camo-clad or similar products? I don't want to have to pull it off after the season or in a couple years. That being said, a full camo re-finish might be the best route. I don't want to spend too much on this project. I appreciate the feedback.
I read a study somewhere where it said to short of a barrel will affect the velocity of your shot.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
With todays faster and better quality gun powders a shorter barrel is not as bad as they once were. With that said, you will loose a little velocity if your powder is not all burnt up before it leaves the end of your barrel. If you do your part in calling the big old Toms up close and personally a short barrel will be fine. If you have to reach out to 60 yards you might rethink the super short barrel. Legally you can go down to 18 inches without registering as a SBS. As far as camo, have you looked at Bell and Carlson? I had them dip an entire shotgun for me a few years ago and it came real nice. Cost was like $120.

·
Registered
623 Posts
sent ya a PM

luke:thumb:

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
i have semi auto sears & roebuck and it is 18'' because grandpa use as a pry bar and bent it is straight with 18''s at a 100 yards it holds a 20'' pattern with 2 3/4 and super fast and allmost is full auto it is a great deer / hog gun i would use it for turkey huntin but do not hunt them:cool: :smokin:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
When ya go to get the barrel cut and threaded, ask what the minimum amount you hafta get cut off for the thread-job...I have an H&R Topper that is exactly the same gun....I'd like to know about what it costs and the minimum I'd hafta shorten it. I'd jump all over a "Dial-a-choke" if anybody had one they'd part with!:wink:

·
Ultimate Member 2007 Team Turkey Contest Winner
56,030 Posts
i have semi auto sears & roebuck and it is 18'' because grandpa use as a pry bar and bent it is straight with 18''s at a 100 yards it holds a 20'' pattern with 2 3/4 and super fast and allmost is full auto it is a great deer / hog gun i would use it for turkey huntin but do not hunt them:cool: :smokin:
Dang, josh....are you joshin me? You gotta be talking about slugs:eek: :smack:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input. I think I've decided to go with 22 inch. The rem turkey choke will add a little length back.

JS - I spoke with a gunsmith today. I asked him and he stated they do not typically have to cut length in order to tap a barrel for screw in chokes. They would only if the current choke started farther back than normal. He stated that he has never had to cut back a NEF. He quoted me $100 to do the job.

I also checked into the full camo finishes. They sure look nice, but the prices I have seen are too high for this project. Think I'll try that snakeskin wrap and see how it works.

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
I also checked into the full camo finishes. They sure look nice, but the prices I have seen are too high for this project. Think I'll try that snakeskin wrap and see how it works.
I used dull finish, camo spray paint on mine a few years ago, and it has held up well. I kept it off the moving parts, and it's nice to know that if it gets scratched, I can touch it up no problem. I wouldnt do it to a nice gun, but I'll probably never sell my 870 anyway. Something to consider.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts