Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last week of MG in Zone 12.... I likely won't get to hunt until Saturday morning and may only get in one hunt this weekend.
Any late season tactics that have worked for ya'll in the past that you care to share?
right now my plan is to feed like crazy and hunt it. but that hasn't worked well this year for whatever reason.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Get yourself the brightest light you can find and just strole down them Ole backroads, something is liable to pop up!

Seriously though, I think we are going to do a drive on my farm this weekend if we can cross the river. Good luck!

·
Member<br>2017 Spring Turkey Contest Team Winner
835 Posts
The deer are hammering corn right now in my area of zone 12. This time of year I like to get in the thick stuff. Somewere they will feel safe, but still move a little. Ive had luck getting in big pine thickets, were you can only see 50 yards or so, and pouring out corn, and hunting them from the ground. I killed a nice 8 pt about three years ago, doing this very thing.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Thick stuff and food. Even better is food along the edge of thick stuff. Good late season food sources are green briar, honeysuckle, and American Beauty berry, A.K.A. French Mulberry. I know a couple of nightmare thickets where the timber was logged and never replanted. The entire patch of ground is a jungle of blackberry, gum bushes, green briar and honeysuckle. There are always deer along the edge in the late season.

·
Registered
15,069 Posts
last week of MG in Zone 12.... I likely won't get to hunt until Saturday morning and may only get in one hunt this weekend.
Any late season tactics that have worked for ya'll in the past that you care to share?
right now my plan is to feed like crazy and hunt it. but that hasn't worked well this year for whatever reason.
Whatever you have been doing, do the opposite.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well the camera run from yesterday was disappointing.... lots of deer hitting feed but no shooter bucks. Either they are dead or in hiding. may just have to drop another doe and make sure I've got enough meat in the freezer.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm going all out down south this weekend going to go in the thicket a find a couple trails that cross that I can set up and see about 50 yards and hope I catch one slip by I know they are in there just haven't made my self hunt it I'm am going to this weekend and hope my gut is right about the spot I pick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.