Tilt/Trim opinions

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by take_em, Jan 2, 2011.

1. take_em

take_em Well-Known Member

I am running a 16x48 F&F with a 35 Johnson. I find myself having to adjust the motor with the pin on the transom bracket to compensate for different situations. For the guys that have experience with the aftermarket tilt/trim systems, please give me your opinions on them. Likes or dislikes. Ease of installation and use. Are they worth the money? Any input is appreciated.

2. QCDually5.9

QCDually5.9 Well-Known Member

I have the pt-35 w/a 25 yamaha. It is not for sale. Very nice. I have installed several and have worked on a couple. The only problems that I have seen are damages to the unit from having the motor bounce around while being trailered. I would strongly advise to use a 'motor-tote' to prevent any damage to the transom, pt-t plate and/or motor bracket. All in all, a very nice option to have. :up:

3. take_em

Thanks for the reply. Another question I had is will the motor still kick up if it comes in contact with say a log or a stump?

4. QCDually5.9

Yes, the motor will continue to function the same as it does now. The plate does NOT have any built in features for releasing on impact. But the motor does. Another nice thing is that with the plate, the motor stays in the 'down' position. Even when you have it trimmed up. Which means that when you go to reverse, you don't have sit there and hold the motor down while giving it some throttle.

5. take_em

Sounds good. I didn't want to lose that feature. Y'all ever see any used ones for sale?

6. LA.Call'emClose

LA.Call'emClose Well-Known Member

7. QCDually5.9

Bob's has been in business for along time. I've not seen the particular unit posted but I'm sure it is a good one if it has Bob's name on it. One thing that is a Negative is that it list that it includes the pump and hoses. Which means that the pump sits inside the boat. For a jon boat, space for such hardware in the bilge area is hard to find. The CMC comes with an all-in-one unit. The only thing to be mounted inside the boat is a pair of solenoids and a switch. If you decide to go the way of Bob's, be sure to report back your pro's and con's. QC

8. LA.Call'emClose

LA.Call'emClose Well-Known Member

Good point about the pump being mounted in the boat, but in some cases, ones negative may be another's plus. For people along LA's coast, keeping that pump out of the salt/brackish water may extend its longevity:shrug:.

i personally use my boat mostly in freshwater so, either way it makes no difference to me

9. QCDually5.9

Mount a couple of sacrificial anodes on the plate and wash it down. And you'll be good to go. No matter the water.