Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone still doing the throw n mow thing? I’m thinking of doing this in next day or two. I tried it last year. Not sure it’s as effective as it should be.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
I do it. Helps to over-seed a little but has definitely helped my spots out as far as erosion control and not making a muddy mess out of everything we disked up.

·
Premium Member
28,012 Posts
I think it depends on where you are. I do a couple every year. I consider them to be a success about 33% of the time. Too much thatch, not enough thatch, no rain, too much rain, birds eating the seed, hogs rooting after it. I do those plots that dont make much difference to me if they dont do anything

·
Registered
8,843 Posts
Mine did great 2 years ago, decent last year and for some reason I decided to disc it this year. Finished seeding just as a big rain came. Walked out to days later and pretty sure to damn hogs ate all my oats and all but 4 wheat seeds that had sprouted nicely.

·
Registered
12,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went the easy way out. Hand spread a big bag of Throw n Grow then a bag of turnips. Ran over it with my bush hog at highest setting. Then again at mid setting. Then again at about the lowest setting. It’s rained every day here since!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Figured I would share one if my plots. I have one that has a good amount of Durana clover in it and I didn't want to disc it up. I bush hogged it and waited over a week for rain.The day before the rain I broadcast wheat and oats a little on the heavy side then dragged over it with a pallet. I was surprised it is doing as good as it is.
Plant Sky Cloud Plant community Natural landscape
Plant Sky Plant community Cloud Natural landscape
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Land lot Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
957 Posts
b8, do you do any adapting to your pallet like Nails or weight?
No, all I did was just flip the pallet upsidedown so that more boards were dragging against the ground. I was mainly trying to make sure that the seeds got pushed down to the ground and weren't laying on top of the grass that I had previously cut with the bush hog. Only reason I use a pallet is because it's about the easiest and cheapest thing to come by.

·
Premium Member
28,012 Posts
I will generally overseed clover and then bush hog any weeds or grass. This allows the seed easier access to the dirt and weeds bush hogged over seeds act as mulch. At any rate, a timely rain can make a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I've been wanting to try this and I've got a small spot I'm going to try in the next couple days ( hopeful today rain coming ) Not going to spray , throw some 13-13-13 and seeds , mow . Thinking it to late for turnips . I'll try winter wheat , rye and white clover , wanting the clover to take over here .

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I just got back from doing mine , should have sprayed .After I mowed it there was a bunch of green under the dead weeds , didn't have the sprayer with me .

·
Premium Member
29,049 Posts
Tire Sky Plant Wheel Vehicle
Sky Natural landscape Plant People in nature Land lot
Yep..old Watermelon patchs that were chicken littered....
Vetch and Bluestem...Will jump out..one big food plot..overseeded with Ryegrass....
Makes it hard to hunt.. Spreads the Deer out...
But that's what we want....and they seem to like..We never hunt or go in These areas unless we trail a Deer in their..we call deer sanctuaries....
Looking at dewormer....Anyone have any experience with it..Works on livestock... should work on deer..

·
Premium Member
28,012 Posts
I just got back from doing mine , should have sprayed .After I mowed it there was a bunch of green under the dead weeds , didn't have the sprayer with me .
I dont worry too much with spraying it this time of year as up coming frost will kill most of it. There are some plants though that frost doesnt kill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts