Arkansas Hunting banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa Cruz island - this months issue of Backpacker magazine.

Long story but the overview is they were released on the island and quickly decimated the native soil and plants, leading to endangered species and erosion etc. 9 of the 12 native plants were gone. The islands unique fox population down to only 90 animals.

People decided to change it, and between April 2005 and June 2006 they went in and killed 5,036 pigs - even stinkin last one of them they hope.

The author went there in March 2008 and said it was gorgeous again, the island is healing from the damage the pigs did.

========

I can't quote the whole article, but its a good example of what feral hogs do as far as damage etc

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
My first spring to hunt Alabama back in 1995, I killed a big gobbler in one of the prettiest hollers in that area, covered in turkey scratching and sign. 2 years later, we slipped in the same area only to discover the hogs had taken over in the bottom and tore it up. There was no turkey sign at all. The creek bank on each side was destroyed, no small vegetation. We ended up killing 4 small pigs later that spring, but the damage was done.

·
Banned
6,919 Posts
My first spring to hunt Alabama back in 1995, I killed a big gobbler in one of the prettiest hollers in that area, covered in turkey scratching and sign. 2 years later, we slipped in the same area only to discover the hogs had taken over in the bottom and tore it up. There was no turkey sign at all. The creek bank on each side was destroyed, no small vegetation. We ended up killing 4 small pigs later that spring, but the damage was done.
Ozone Mountain is the same way right now, top to bottom. Same situation, different terrain.
Pigs are a plague on the land.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.