Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a gun safe for years. I finally have the money And I don't know what kind I should buy.Everybody please help me out with some Info.

I looked at a Browning safe at a local gun shop.It holds 24 guns.Its 1200 degree for 30 min.Real nice inside and out.They quoted me price of $760.00.How does that sound to yall?Too much?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a Browning Medallion and love it. A nice feature of my safe is that a row of guns swing out with the door. I rarely have to reach inside my safe to get a gun. My collector guns are in the back of the safe and my hunting guns are attached to the door.

The peace of mind of having my valuables protected from theft, fire, and tornados make my safe priceless.

Buy the biggest one you can afford because you will end up putting more than just guns in it.

·
Administrator
73,214 Posts
Get ready to buy the biggest one you think you will ever need, and then get one 2 sizes up. You'll be surprised at what you end up with in your safe, and you'll outgrow it fast. When a safe says XX number of guns, that must be single shot shotguns. When you get rifles with scopes, and rifles with pistol grips, you start losing room fast.

As for rust protection, I've had my safe for ~15 years and never worried about rust. I have a couple of large desiccant bags in the back of the safe and everything has been fine.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
sounds like a good price to me, especially for a Browining, they are nice.

I use one of them humidity bags in my safe. Stick it in the oven about twice a year to dry it back out. So far, so good

·
Member<br>2014 Team Turkey Contest Winner
770 Posts
I agree with Chitlin...when you find the one you want...get the next bigger size.

I have a liberty safe and I really like it.

But, it sounds like that is a good price. I don't think I've ever seen a Browning safe priced that cheap.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I don't see how you could go wrong with the Browning. I don't know much about them, but know Browning has a good reputation. It would be my first choice.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot guys, I was leaning toward the Browning.Especially since it's within my pricerange,And they deliver.I have quite a sum invested.It will be a great reassurance.

·
Registered
955 Posts
10pointman, were are you getting your safe? I've been looking for one myself and I also have been lookin at Brownings.

·
Moderator/smokepole pimp
11,480 Posts
I've got two safes now (inherited one), and wish there was more room! That sounds pretty reasonable for the Browning, now price one bigger!

As for rust prevention, my big safe is out in the garage, so that one worries me. It's only been out there for a year or so, but no problems yet. I use a "golden rod" dessicant device, it's just a small aluminum rod that gets slightly warm. I really don't know if it works or not, 'cuz I keep all my irons well oiled. Dad used it, so I keep using it.

·
Moderator<br>Campfire<br>General Hunting Topics<br
11,495 Posts
I've got one and I consider it one of the best investments that I have ever made. But like everyone else said you need to get one bigger than what you think you will ever need. Not only do I store my guns, ammo, and other hunting equipment in there, but I also have some of our important papers & documents in there, as well as our digital camera and a few other valuables that I can squeeze in there.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it's been a while since I bought it.but I decided on the Browning 24 gun Safe.It's really nice.It's got adjustable shelves and what looks like boat carpet inside.It won't hold 24 guns,If you get 15 in there your cramming 'em and scratching some.I like it very much.No more worrys,I know its not theft-proof but it is abetter feeling than a wooden cabinet with glass doors.

The combination gave me fits for a while till I got the feel for it.If it's not just right it won't open.But I like that!

It's dark green on the outside,but looks black as the Ace of spades.Gotta shine a light on it to see the true color.It's got a nice Deer decal on the front also,Browning stickers ect.Snazzy.

Over all I'm very happy with it.The size factor is the only thing.It's not big enough, I knew that when I bought it.Gotta go with the money you want to spend.

It was kinda funny,the guys at thestore delivered it and set it up forme.They forgot the combination at the store.It was screwed down to the pallet from the inside.he went back got the combo. then he could'nt work the combo.It took us forever to open it. And he said he had one like it at home.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats a nice one too,looks bigger than mine.....lookes a lot like it though.

I think mine is like 30 inches wide.

I got some of those Tap-lights from Wal-mart,stuck Velcro on the back of them and stuck 'em to the carpet inside the safe.
Kinda dark in there,keeps ya from bumping guns together.

·
Moderator/smokepole pimp
11,480 Posts
Congrats on the safe you will NEVER regret it. Well, you might regret not getting a couple sizes bigger. You can always buy another one!

One problem with two safes: you gotta remember two combos, and you never remember which shootin' iron is in which safe :smack:

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats on the safe you will NEVER regret it. Well, you might regret not getting a couple sizes bigger. You can always buy another one!

One problem with two safes: you gotta remember two combos, and you never remember which shootin' iron is in which safe :smack:
Thanks Flint,
Yea then you gotta open both to find your gun,Bet thats a hoot!!!

I may start looking for another.

·
Moderator/smokepole pimp
11,480 Posts
Actually, that's two problems with two safes. I bought the first safe, and inherited the second. They're both full, there may be a third! :smack:

I just love putting the wife's jewelry, the digital camera, the laptop and whatnot in the sage when we aren't at home. I just wish the insurance company would give a discount for that.

·
Premium Member
17,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:

I just love putting the wife's jewelry, the digital camera, the laptop and whatnot in the sage when we aren't at home. I just wish the insurance company would give a discount for that.

Yep, me too

I doubt they would,sounds like you checked already.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts