Thinking about a lease

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by TimberHog, Dec 24, 2012.

1. TimberHog

TimberHog Well-Known Member

I'm thinking hard about getting a lease next year !!

2. jg54

jg54 Well-Known Member

Cabot
    Yeah I'm right there with ya!

3. SwampCat

SwampCat Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I used to lease a couple of different fields every year. Cost a lot of money and did not insure you were going to kill ducks. Leased a field down by Wright one time and never killed a duck off of it - $4000 down the drain. I have had some good leases and not so good leases. I finally decided it just was not worth the money. Unless you get very lucky - your lease will not have ducks all the time. You feel compelled to hunt your lease because you paid good money for it - even though you might go to a public area and do better. But, that was ten years ago - this is now. Duck hunting and duck hunters have gotten crazy. That money could be looked as peace of mind - not having to fight with the crowds. I have a little private duck hole I hunt once a week. I can get out of bed 45 minutes before legal shooting time and know when I get there ten minutes before shooting time - I will be the only one there. Otherwise - I hunt public and fight the worst crowds I have ever seen this year - and maybe the fewest ducks. I, too, would probably throw some money at a lease if there were something within an hours drive of me - just for peace of mind.

4. TimberHog

Well most lease equal water in a year like this you got water you most likely have ducks

5. mach316

mach316 Well-Known Member

Plus, you will have a place to ice skate when it locks up!!

6. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom Well-Known Member

Once you get to the age that you don't think duck hunting is a competition or feel the need to prove something to other people by mean mugging to everyone at the ramp with your 3 mallard limit, a lease is the only way to go. :up:

I'm in 2 leases and own a farm all within 10 minutes of my house and wouldn't get up at 2 am to go fight the racers, swing shooters, skybusters and bad azzes if I could kill a limit of banded greenheads every day of the season!!

I go duck hunting to relax, have fun and enjoy times with my friends and family, not get mad, pissed off and want to fight. I can get that a work just about any day! I'd rather kill a single duck on my place than kill 50 anywhere else. :up:

7. mach316

mach316 Well-Known Member

I agree with this statement...

8. TimberHog

Me too which is why I consider it