Arkansas Hunting banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Member<br>Forum Sponsor<br>High On The Hog O
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my wife has a work continuing education conference in Springfield this weekend. I got a couple days off to take her and will be there Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and have pretty much all day (8:00-5:00) to myself. Other than the obvious (Bass Pro - I figure I can spend about 2 days there!:biggrin: ) what else is there to do. It is going to be really cold or I'd buy a day hunting license and squirrel hunt or something, but I guess I'm looking for places to go inside, things to see, etc. Other than sitting around the hotel and Bass Pro, I'm looking for something else to occupy my time until her classes get done. Also, any good restaurant suggestions for when we eat at night??? I know we'll probably hit Lambert's one night, but anybody got anything else??? Thanks for the input.
Bryan

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
If you are into manly tools, go to Grizzly Industrial and spend a while in there. :thumb:

If it is a tool, they probably have it.

Don't tell your wife where the money went though.... And don't tell her I told you about it. :smack:

Also the World of Wonders is a nice place to go through also. (Next to Bass pro.) There is also a Bass pro outlet on the the other side of BassPro

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
You'll be close enough to Branson to drive over there after she gets out and there's tons of fun things to do there. It's about a 35 minute drive.

Amy

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Say, where abouts is Grizzly- I wanna go play there!

I'll second the motion to go see World of Wonders, you're gonna be at Bass Pro anyway, WW is in the parking lot!

You gotta go eat at the James River Inn (or was it grill? it's James River, just can't remember what goes after that). They're on Battlefield, I think, not too far from BPS. They cook everything on Pecan wood, just the smell of the place will put 5 pounds on you! There is plenty to see and do in Springfield!

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
You could also tour the civil war museum and Battlegrounds on Battlefield rd. We did that and it was pretty cool. I learned a lot about Arkansas's part in the civil war.

Say, where abouts is Grizzly- I wanna go play there!
Corner of Battlefield St and S. Kansas Expwy. Can't miss it. :wink:

www.grizzly.com is where you can look at the stuff. It is a mans dream for tools. :thumb:

I'm particularly partial to the metal working tools. :biggrin:

·
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys,
Our internet was down a while here at work... Thanks for all the ideas. The Grizzly tool place looks good, I'm sure I'll go by there. I really, really wanted to go the the WOW, but it closed for renovation and expansion in December and is supposed to be closed like 6 months or so. I've never been there, so I was looking forward to seeing it until I checked out the website and saw it is closed down for now. The battlefied and civil war stuff sounds cool too. If I have time ArkArcher, then I might check into Precious Moments, but I'm afraid I might run out of time and not make it by there!:biggrin: :smack: I've been to the Fred Bear museum about 10 years ago, so I figure I can probably spend a full day in there and a full day in the shop for sure!:thumb: Our hotel has high speed wireless, so I'll check in tomorrow and see if there are any more ideas. We might go to Branson one night, but I think it is off-season for most of the shows and we stayed there a weekend last summer. I guess what we do at night will depend on how tired she is after sitting through classes all day and the fact that we are pregnant (not due until late summer) might slow her down a bit if she doesn't feel well. Thanks again.
Bryan

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
bhays, I don't know if you have ever considered predator hunting. But they are having a seminar up there in Springfiled area on Friday night.

The one and only Gerald Stewart(Johnny Stewarts Son) will be there giving the presentation and seminar. The man can show you a few things if you are interested.

"""
Andy Dalton Shooting Range & Outdoor Ed Center

Join us for a predator hunting clinic on Friday January 25, 2008 at 6:30pm and learn the basic fundamentals of helping maintain healthy ecosystems for upland game and other species through controlling predation. We will return to hunt on Saturday January 26, 2008 at 7:00am to apply your new skills of calling coyotes, bobcats and other predators common to Missouri. To register call 417-742-4361.

"""

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Lived there for two years and there ain't crap to do...

Seriously though, if you want the best chicken wings in the country, go to Adobes Coyote Grill and get the twice-fried. I did it every Monday with a buddy for two years during school (we watched football on their projector).

You can also try Cheddars for food. You get big portions, it's pretty cheap, and the food is good too.

There's a small zoo in the north of town and a drive-thru cave just north of town also. Not the greatest things, but they can kill time and are a little bit different.

But...by far the best thing in Springfield, is Bass Pro. You could also check out the Grizzly showroom if you're into machining or woodworking tools.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I did the Fantastic Caverns drive-thru on my honeymoon..... Got the pic to show it! It was so much fun I almost forgot it was there. ha

And isn't the Precious Moments museum a few miles (several) up the road closer to Kansas?

Enjoy your stay in Springfield.

Amy

·
Super Moderator
9,418 Posts
I did the Fantastic Caverns drive-thru on my honeymoon..... Got the pic to show it! It was so much fun I almost forgot it was there. ha

And isn't the Precious Moments museum a few miles (several) up the road closer to Kansas?

Enjoy your stay in Springfield.

Amy
I actually don't know where it's at. I just know the hwy between branson and Springfield is cover with signs for it so I figured it was close. :smack:

·
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again guys and gals,
I went to BassPro today and mainly looked around (didn't buy anything YET...). I figure with 3 more days I'll be back in there again. I was disappointed that the Fred Bear Museum was closed too, along with WOW for expansion and renovation. I was thinking I could kill a whole day in there b/c I hadn't been through it in quite a while. Hemmingway's Cafe is still upstairs and I'm going to try and talk my wife into eating there one night b/c I hear it's pretty good. The McDonald's they used to have up there is gone though, I was thinking I would get a snack around lunch today, but I guess I'll just fill up at dinner!:smack: :biggrin: I'll probably check out Grizzly tools tomorrow, I drove around a little and learned where most everything is located, so we should be able to get around pretty easy now. Oh yeah, gas is around 2.70 up here. I know at Harrison last night I noticed it was still like 2.91. Go figure huh, guess I'll gas up while we're up here before we head back Sunday. It was 12 degrees this morning, but no ice or snow anywhere. Oh well, got to go pick my wife up and check out some more of the town. Later... Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Bryan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts